Discuss DNO safety regulations for overhead supply's ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

JD6400

-
Mentor
Arms
Reaction score
I have a meeting with our local DNO and the estate manager next week on a farm we are currently rewiring section by section for one of our local country estate , clients .
The current split phase supply is in to a several hundred year old wooden barn , that has definitely seen better times !
We have had a purpose built meter shed built between the last pole ( About 3 meters apart ) and the end of the old barn ( This was for future proofing a possible head move ! ) in which all new sub mains feed back into .
The DNO have subsequently had a routine inspection visit after we had this built and condemned the supply cable and meter point , mainly due to the fact the supply cable comes half way down the pole before looping across to the barn at around head height for about 3 meters .
It has been suggested that whilst sorting this out they could just move the head and meter point in to the new purpose built meter shed ( which is closer to the pole anyway ) , but they are refusing to do so and now appear to question the fact that there is a problem with the low over head supply cable ( which they condemned in the first place !!!? ) , and now will not do anything without raising a connection move order and subsequently charging a fair sum ( I think about ÂŁ800 +vat , at the last count !) .

My question is , does anyone know of a reason in their regs that would over rule them just walking away from the original low supply cable issue ?
I know this is a pretty closed shop question , but I am sure we have some DNO bods on here as well ????

Thanks in advance

I have even offered to do all the grounds works ( all be it minimal ) as we are there already with the moles and mini digger , for the multiple sub mains that are coming out of the new meter shed !

Hi Mechelec , thanks for that .
I have already had a look at the 2002 version ( having a job to find the updates ), and apart from one bit ? I am not sure it will help as the cable is insulated .

Don't know what area your from.but you could try diff DNO's web page sites for info ie WPD Western Power Distribution, UkPowernetworks etc. All info there..possibly go for new connections or in your case service alterations. I thought 5.3m over private land. 5.8 over roads / drives etc. Worth a look though.

Reply to DNO safety regulations for overhead supply's ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net