Discuss Question regarding Internet phone line in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

As above, that's quite common for a B.T. D.p

I used to work on /commercial buildings and it was very common to see that and worse.

The problem nowadays being the B.T engineer gets the job to install /repair a line to a specific property with an allocated time.
The job and time does not allow for tidying up a previous mess unless it's causing an issue related to the job.

As a note when I first started work it was for the G.P.O and although I worked on electrical and not telephones I worked in both Exchanges and Postal Sorting Offices.
No G.P.O telephone engineer would have left a D.p in that state, it's only since privatisation that the standard has dropped.

reminds meof when i worked at Alstom.each office floor had a 100 pair box with all the extensions fed from it. almost evey week some employees would move their deak location and , of course, needed to keep the same extension number. this entailed finding the pairs he/she came from and the pairs he/she was moving to, and swapping then in the 100 pair box. over the years, it had turned into a rat's nest.. nothing labelled and so, 1 weekend I was given the job of tidying up.. re-dressing the cables and preparing a chart showing which terminals related to each number. 1 box took me 2 full days. the next 3 weekends were booked in for the others. when all had been done, boss fitted padlocks to the cabinets and gave me 1 set of keys while he kept the others locked away. telling everyone that nobody but me and him could access the cabinets on pain of disciplinary action. made me feel good.

They aren't data cables, they are phone cables. While that DP is untidy, it is very very far from being the worst I've seen :rolleyes:
For phones, each line uses one pair of wires - and as the smaller cables are usually 3 pair (that's the most common size used), thete will be unused pairs. So you'll see the blue/white pair connected, and the rest just left lying around.
Finally got through to BT to get an engineer sent out on the 27th. Apparently it’s down to the engineer if they want to enter a flat however so because of this virus I might have to wait even longer. Tempted to just do it myself...
[automerge]1589549239[/automerge]
As above, that's quite common for a B.T. D.p

I used to work on /commercial buildings and it was very common to see that and worse.

The problem nowadays being the B.T engineer gets the job to install /repair a line to a specific property with an allocated time.
The job and time does not allow for tidying up a previous mess unless it's causing an issue related to the job.

As a note when I first started work it was for the G.P.O and although I worked on electrical and not telephones I worked in both Exchanges and Postal Sorting Offices.
No G.P.O telephone engineer would have left a D.p in that state, it's only since privatisation that the standard has dropped.
So it’s basically just a case of getting a phone cable from that box into my flat? If so then surely I could just do it myself? I have the tools to terminate data/phone cables

They aren't data cables, they are phone cables. While that DP is untidy, it is very very far from being the worst I've seen :rolleyes:
For phones, each line uses one pair of wires - and as the smaller cables are usually 3 pair (that's the most common size used), thete will be unused pairs. So you'll see the blue/white pair connected, and the rest just left lying around.
Got in my loft and managed to track 2 phone cables and a coax down the wall and managed to locate them in a box hidden in the wall. I think these are the phone cables however they don’t have the faceplate on them, they’ve just been connected blocked with the blue and white cores and left in the back of the box. Are these the right cables? If so is it just the case of terminating the blue and white cores into the phone line face plate?

Attachments

• Question regarding Internet phone line C51C68F3-C3BC-4754-ACD0-9846E267B5E0 - EletriciansForums.net
    C51C68F3-C3BC-4754-ACD0-9846E267B5E0.jpeg
    96.9 KB · Views: 28
as there are 2 cables, the other could be going to a point somewhere. If you can't trace it you will have to wait for BT. I wouldn't recommend attaching phone sockets to random wires sticking out the wall!

as there are 2 cables, the other could be going to a point somewhere. If you can't trace it you will have to wait for BT. I wouldn't recommend attaching phone sockets to random wires sticking out the wall!
I followed where the cat5 went to and it seems to drop down the wall behind some tiles where the kitchen is. As it’s tiled I can’t trace it. Maybe it’s behind the kitchen worktops?

You’re probably right mate but that wasn’t the answer I was looking for. If it’s just the case of terminating the cores I’m more than competent enough to do so.
Anyone can terminate a few cores but you have absolutely no idea what they are doing.

And that’s exactly why I posted the question..
No one on here has a clue what they are doing either. You would be well advised to wait until the appropriate people come to assess it, you can't be cavalier to connect a few wires and see what happens you maybe tapping into someone else's line.

No one on here has a clue what they are doing either. You would be well advised to wait until the appropriate people come to assess it, you can't be cavalier to connect a few wires and see what happens you maybe tapping into someone else's line.
I actually posted a similar question yesterday and there were a couple people who definitely know what they’re doing, so I’m hoping these same people can help me again. I traced the cable all the way from the electrics cupboard outside to my flat, so it’s definitely my phone line. All our neighbours actually have phone line sockets already in their wall, it seems we were the unlucky ones

I actually posted a similar question yesterday and there were a couple people who definitely know what they’re doing, so I’m hoping these same people can help me again. I traced the cable all the way from the electrics cupboard outside to my flat, so it’s definitely my phone line. All our neighbours actually have phone line sockets already in their wall, it seems we were the unlucky ones
Maybe it is but you and no one on here have any idea whether that is your line or not.

Maybe it is but you and no one on here have any idea whether that is your line or not.
I appreciate the concern mate but it’s defiantly my cable, I can access the whole building from my loft including all the communal corridors. I traced the cable back from the box in the electrics cupboard outside all the way back to my flat. It’s defiantly my cable, all my neighbours already have their internet set up with master sockets in their flats, it just seems like the builders ripped mine out for some odd reason and just connector blocked the cables.

You’re probably right mate but that wasn’t the answer I was looking for. If it’s just the case of terminating the cores I’m more than competent enough to do so.

So you start out with
this isn’t really my area of expertise.
and 29 posts in you have become more than competent to add a socket to an unverified cable that loops through a box you have found

Have you traced the cable that loops out of the box??

I appreciate the concern mate but it’s defiantly my cable, I can access the whole building from my loft including all the communal corridors. I traced the cable back from the box in the electrics cupboard outside all the way back to my flat. It’s defiantly my cable, all my neighbours already have their internet set up with master sockets in their flats, it just seems like the builders ripped mine out for some odd reason and just connector blocked the cables.

So your comment could possibly be
it just seems like the builders looped another flats telephone cable through my flat for some odd reason and just connector blocked the cables.
Because you do not have the appropriate test equipment and the expertise to prove otherwise it would unwise to just assume that your line connection is on that cable.

Yes you have traced a cable back to the DP but you haven't mentioned tracing the cable that loops out

As mentioned earlier if you could find the DP box lid you may get some information from that if you are lucky other than that it would probably need to be toned from the local cab

So you start out with

and 29 posts in you have become more than competent to add a socket to an unverified cable that loops through a box you have found

Have you traced the cable that loops out of the box??

So your comment could possibly be

Because you do not have the appropriate test equipment and the expertise to prove otherwise it would unwise to just assume that your line connection is on that cable.

Yes you have traced a cable back to the DP but you haven't mentioned tracing the cable that loops out

As mentioned earlier if you could find the DP box lid you may get some information from that if you are lucky other than that it would probably need to be toned from the local cab
I traced the cable from the electrics cupboard to my fuseboard cupboard. Yes I did trace the cable that loops out, it seems to drop down the wall in my kitchen behind some tiles. I have looked behind all the kitchen worktops and in all the cupboards but can’t find it. I’m assuming the cable that runs from the electrics cupboard outside to my fuseboard cupboard would be for the BT master socket and the one that is looped from that is for an extension for another phone socket? But as I said I can’t find it, could be behind the tiles in my kitchen for all I know. I know I don’t know what I’m doing, but I am an electrician and have worked on data before so if it was literally just the case of terminating the blue and white cores into a master socket then I’m capable of doing so, I have a punch down tool.

I traced the cable from the electrics cupboard to my fuseboard cupboard. Yes I did trace the cable that loops out, it seems to drop down the wall in my kitchen behind some tiles. I have looked behind all the kitchen worktops and in all the cupboards but can’t find it. I’m assuming the cable that runs from the electrics cupboard outside to my fuseboard cupboard would be for the BT master socket and the one that is looped from that is for an extension for another phone socket? But as I said I can’t find it, could be behind the tiles in my kitchen for all I know. I know I don’t know what I’m doing, but I am an electrician and have worked on data before so if it was literally just the case of terminating the blue and white cores into a master socket then I’m capable of doing so, I have a punch down tool.
So as before you are making assumptions on the destination of the looped cable as you have not located where it terminates
I would suggest if you have one that you connect an engineers butt phone to the cable you have found and carry out some tests

Are you on the ground floor? If not then there is a possibility that the cable that drops down your kitchen wall goes down to a flat below? Although this is less likely, it is a possibility, but it sounds like you have enough there for the BT engineer to get you connected. There is no advantage to you fitting the socket as it will still need patching in the cabinet in the street and/or at the exchange, which will all be done on the instalation day.

You have traced all the cables which should speed things up.

Looks like there's just been a thread clean up.

Back to the O.P
I think the O.P has discovered enough to make it a relatively simple job for B.T now.
It's unlikely any new cables will be required and B.T (or one of their contractors) will be able to confirm the wiring within minutes and get things up and running without causing any damage to any equipment or disconnection of any other tennants line.

Reply to Question regarding Internet phone line in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock