Discuss Readings from a multimeter in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi
I am trying to do the 180 degree test on the aramature of a 240 volt electric motor, out of a blender. Youtube would sujest that the resistance readings should be about the same if there is no fault. I am getting the following- 1.4 2.6 4.9 5.4 7.0 8.0 9.0 10.5 11.8 12.4 12.1 12.7 Likewise when I do the side by side test my readings keep increasing starting at 21 and ending at 31.6. I am using a LAP MAS830B set at 200 Ohms.

Can anyone tell me why my readings are as they are?

Regards Dave

Is this a DC motor?
how many wires come out of it?
Hi
Thanks for the reply.
No it's probably AC as it is from a domestic applaince. (Blender with 4 speeds and a pulse setting.)
It did work. I am tring to addapt the motor to run a DIY pin polisher. unfortunatly I did not get the new turntable propery ballanced and I suspect that the vibration has damage somthing.

Attachments

• 1st image.jpg
    382.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 2nd image.jpg
    410.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 3rd image.jpg
    380.1 KB · Views: 9
It sounds like there is a fault in one armature coil. With a simple 2-pole motor like this, testing between opposite segments on the commutator reads the parallel resistance of two circuits though the armature, each containing half the total coils. With an intact armature, the total number of coils in each of the two parallel circuits is the same no matter which pair of segments you test, so the resistance readings should all be similar (not always exactly the same as the coils can differ in physical size.) But when there is a fault, the amount of resistance bypassed depends where the fault is located relative to the particular segments you are testing, hence the varying readings.

Small universal motors in appliances are made very much down to a price. I doubt it will pay you to spend much time investigating. I occasionally have to repair small armatures on vintage equipment and it is always a slow and fiddly task.

Reply to Readings from a multimeter in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock