Discuss Shower circuit 10mm in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

50m 10mm T+E £170

10m 10mm T+E £35
50m 6mm T+E £ 75

This is just a question i wondered to myself, and so the length of runs could vary but as long as it conformed to 7671 and the joint in cable was necessary due to derating, then on a '50m' run you can save £60 or 1/3 of the cost of cable by this method. I would again like to stress I am not contemplating this as an installation I was just wondering and thought someone may be able to satisfy my curiosity.

Its not that simple. Are we pricing for a junction box as well. How long would it take you to mount the box and make it off.

Virtually every street/road lighting arrangement is installed this way. as the load get's lighter the supply cable size is reduced. Lucy and other street lighting protection equipment suppliers, have standard post equipment that facilitates this arrangement....

My apologies. I thought we were hypothesising about a standard domestic situation.
I will get my coat... :waving:

cheaper to rip out and bin a couple of yards of fibreglass, and use 6mm throughout.

Think your referring to stepping down a cable size!! The bigger the cable the better, except for your, or your clients bank balance!! lol!!!

Getting back to the topic, yes you can do it this way, but no self respecting spark would do so, your just adding unnecessary joints and weakness into a circuit. On top of that, it's going to probably work out cheaper to run the circuit as it should be done, in the lager cable size, when considering the overall costs...
quite right eng...the voice of sense....

not on my jobs he don't. amazing the reaction to a handfull of fibreglass down the back of his y fronts.

amazing the reaction to a handfull of fibreglass down the back of his y fronts.
Oi, non of that talk on here kinky, what you get up to in your own loft is your business, not mine... :lol:

Ok, so basically you could, but whether you should or would is different. That is fine, as this isnt a real situation there is no need to panic.
Also with regards to the junction box costing extra money and time, surely pulling a 10mm cable over a '50m' run (with v.d excluded and not being taken into account) would be more tedious than pulling a 6mm cable...

Nonetheless my question has been answered and thanks for that !

.....one more thing ha, if you were to design a circuit with all things considered and no insulation around any cable, then mr ecosulation man comes and dumps a crap load of insulation on your cable thereby severely underrating it and a fire starts would he be solely liable and responsible?

ultinator;579554 then mr ecosulation man comes and dumps a crap load of insulation on your cable thereby severely underrating it and a fire starts would he be solely liable and responsible?[/QUOTE said:
Imho yes. You have designed properly and installed, inspected and tested to 7671 and have copies of the paperwork to prove it. Mr Insulation comes along with his ignorance and screws everything up.
I'd say that ignorance of our regs is no excuse, after all we're supposed to be aware of all building regs so why shouldn't he?

.....one more thing ha, if you were to design a circuit with all things considered and no insulation around any cable, then mr ecosulation man comes and dumps a crap load of insulation on your cable thereby severely underrating it and a fire starts would he be solely liable and responsible?

Normally I would say, if your install complies at the time you did it, no problem, you can't be held responsible for what happens to it in the future.
But...if you were laying cables in an uninsulated attic on the ceiling below (you know what I mean!), for example, there is a good chance that cables would be covered over in the near future, especially with these free loft insulation offers going. Had mine done for freebies a couple of years ago.

quite right. would he pile a foot of fibreglass on top of the kitchen hob, or cram it roung the C/H boiler. ... NO. so why should the muppet treat our installations with such disrespect.

If you can reasonably foresee a situation where thermal insulation could compromise the integrity of your installation, then you should take the appropriate course of action to protect the electrical system.

If you can reasonably foresee a situation where thermal insulation could compromise the integrity of your installation, then you should take the appropriate course of action to protect the electrical system.
good thinking. a 12 bore in the attic with a piece of string attached to the hatch. that should sort it.

then again, in a house less than 40 yrars old, it would probably collapse the roof trusses,, explode the water tank that the kind plumber has placed in the only space that you can crawl through, bonus free sprinkler system.

Reply to Shower circuit 10mm in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock