Discuss Shower upgrade with slave consumer unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Spoke to my sparks today and following the comments to my thread I questioned the position of the slave CU. He said that it is outside zone 2 and is therefore OK where I want it but because the shower room is not detached from the main house he must use a metal CU even thought he agreed that in reality it, in my particular position, is probably not as good as an IP44 plastic one - but "regs is regs!" Thanks everyone for your input because I could at least question him with some knowledge of the wider view.

There will be those out there who may not agree with my approach but my daughter who lives in a 200 year old house in Cardiff was persuaded that as the earth was not to modern standard (the electricians words) the house needed rewiring. When he had finished he said that it was normal to pay then he would provide the BC certificate. He didn't and when BC were asked what she could do she was told to get another recommended electrician to check the work. It was condemned as dangerous and it was only because she had a 4 week old baby that he did not cut the power immediately. She won her case in the small claims court but of course he didn't pay back her money. £5k later a properly qualified electrician redid the whole job and issued the proper certificates. Hence my desire to at least be in the position where I can ask the right questions.

If you are going down that route then how about getting the better IP rate plastic CU and get a metal enclosure to go round it.

Ok Frazer

If a Consumer Unit is absolutely necessary and it really has to go in the described location I'd suggest this - I.P. 65 rated and 3 usable ways but the correct MCBs would have to be purchased separately.

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/briti...-shower-consumer-unit/1336j?_requestid=513082

I still don’t understand why?

Consumer unit in bathroom = bad idea generally due to damp/steam etc.

And not needed - the shower can be fed direct, and the other items can be tapped off the existing circuits.

In my opinion anyway.

And not needed - the shower can be fed direct, and the other items can be tapped off the existing circuits.

In my opinion anyway.
Oh yeah I’m with you there dpg,I don’t understand why the op wants it there at all, surely if the existing shower cable tests ok use that,everything can be extended from existing or spured (fan heater) or have I completely missed something?

Last edited:

In my opinion anyway.
Oh yeah I’m with you there dpg,I don’t understand why the op wants it there at all, surely if the existing shower cable tests ok use that,everything else can be extended from existing or spured (fan heater) or have I completely missed something?

Reply to Shower upgrade with slave consumer unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net