Discuss Smart switch need nuetral wire in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, trying to install a nuetral wire for a smart switch , I’ve drawn a diagram please see photos , could any one confirm If this would be safe, basically , want to pull a nuetral from the light fitting down to the switch , cut the wire behind the ceiling rose containing live nuetral and earth, then using a wire nut connect them all back up but add an additional neutral wire to run to the switch? Is this the correct method

Thanks

9549AB34-8AAF-4E49-96FC-A0F9E6CED764.jpeg

28457E10-20F4-45FD-B0F8-09A927AD8132.jpeg

The schematics you've provided need a bit more detail.

What is your proposal in cable choice to supply neutral?

i have got to give the op for trying to draw a pic how the thing works .
but looking at I will ask my gran child if she can do better ,
considering she is two .;)
drawing-on-wall.jpg

Don't use a fire nut, they've earnt that name for a reason.

It would be better to pull in a length of 3 core and earth if you require a neutral a switch position. Unless your wiring is in conduit?

No need to cut the neutral behind the rose as you will be able to terminate your neutral in the rose, you may just have to double up on one termination point.

I would advise consulting a local electrician to install and test for you.

The schematics you've provided need a bit more detail.

What is your proposal in cable choice to supply neutral?

Sorry I’m new to the electrical world , but trying to learn , so behind the ceiling rose their should be cables going in to the rose out to the next light and then one going to the switch , I would like to add a neutral from the wire going in containing earth live and neutral so cut it in half wire nut the live and the live and earth and earth back together and on the neutral use 3 wires connected by a wire nut a new set of wire which will run to the switch. Thanks

From your description of what you're suggesting doing, I'm not sure we should advise you. Plus forum rules negate us from giving step by step advice, which is I suspect is where it might lead.

wire nut = fire nut. forget. wire nuts held the Titanic hull together. wagos are the way forward.

So this is the ceiling rose , could I add a neutral into a neutral termination point doubling up? I don’t do it myself just curious as to what someone would do? And how much would someone charge roughly for a job like this?

Thanks all

7CC5FC3D-9699-4887-8133-29BAB04DDFBB.jpeg

Have you purchased your Smart switch yet? Lightwave for example, produce smart switches that do not require a neutral.

which part of manchester? i cover some of the area.

Reply to Smart switch need nuetral wire in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net