Discuss Spirit Level Set Recommendations in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

RDB85

-
Trainee
Reaction score
I’m looking to buy a set of Spirit Levels. I can’t justify at the moment the likes of Stabilia, or Milwaukee and others that cost a few hundred pounds.

I’ve come across a nice set from Bahco

Magnusson:

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/magnusson-level-set-4-pieces/868fg

I would like something that comes with a bag. For ease of storage and carrying.

I also need a decent Scaffolding Level:

I’ve been recommend a Big Ben but I’ve never heard of the brand. Any suggestions on that also.

If money is an issue I'd leave Big Ben out of the running as their torpedo level costs as much as the Bahco and Magnussen sets.

Never used levels from either of these brands, but reviews seem to be favourable and the price for those sets is less than you'd expect to pay for a 1200mm level from leading brands. The one issue with any level is that it's actually true and level, but it takes all of a few seconds to check this.

A level is a level , its shows things are level (or not)

I have a small red plastic one in my bag which I got free from screwfix for checking accessories are straight and a longer yellow plastic one (4 foot) which I think is cheapo homebase one for drawing our chasing lines. Had both these for years now.

I have had Klein , Stabilia and other expensive makes but either lost them or they have been half inched on site.

I use the Magnusson and never had a problem with them. They come with a decent storage case and are well made at a decent price.

I’d get a small magnetic one and a long one, as cheap as you can. I’ve had cheap and expensive and honestly it’s a tool that you won’t really have life changing experiences if you get a more expensive one.
Put the remainder towards a laser level.

I’d get a small magnetic one and a long one, as cheap as you can. I’ve had cheap and expensive and honestly it’s a tool that you won’t really have life changing experiences if you get a more expensive one.
Put the remainder towards a laser level.

That’s good advice that Tim. Thanks. I think the Magnusson set for £40 is a decent buy. I’ve already priced up a laser that’s been recommended. It’s by Kaiweets.

Most levels are accurate when new, but it's whether they're still accurate after a few knocks that matters.
Also need to take into account what you're using it for. If it's to run a piece of conduit up a wall from bottom to top, then it doesn't matter too much if it's 10mm out overall, but if you're using it to set a door frame, and that ends up 10mm out of true, you're going to be looking for lozenge shaped doors to fit.

Don’t do what I did 25 years ago and have the genius idea of G clamping my level overhanging a desk to support 4 x 100m drums of singles…..! Some of the level was level after that idiotic mistake…
I graduated to a broom through a step ladder very soon after that!

Most levels are accurate when new, but it's whether they're still accurate after a few knocks that matters.
Also need to take into account what you're using it for. If it's to run a piece of conduit up a wall from bottom to top, then it doesn't matter too much if it's 10mm out overall, but if you're using it to set a door frame, and that ends up 10mm out of true, you're going to be looking for lozenge shaped doors to fit.
I never use a level for that sort of work. plumb line is far more accurate. can gauge to 1mm.

Reply to Spirit Level Set Recommendations in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock