Discuss Success through small claims? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I had done a job for a lady in June, pretty big job. When I finished it was getting later in the evening so I decided to stop by with the bill the following morning. When I got there the next day, she was acting all out of sorts claiming that her savings had been stolen from her safe and that she wouldn’t be able to pay me! She had called the police who called me a couple days later. To date, no progress has been made in that avenue. I left two messages for the investigator working the case with no response. Through talking to him the first time it seemed he may have assumed the same as I, that it was a tactic to get out of paying.
I served her through small claims two weeks ago and have heard nothing yet. If there’s no response within another two weeks, I will be assumed the party at loss to be compensated. My question is, what happens if she just refuses to pay still? Has anyone been faced with this situation and how was it resolved?

Some years ago, I did some work for a firm of solicitors who kept stalling to pay, excuses like the person to authorise payment was out of the country etc. Eventually I raised a small claims, incl. my costs, which was not contested. They still did not pay. After the suitable time had elasped, I instructed the court baliffs - at which point they paid the baliffs immediately, and I got my money a couple of weeks later. The baliffs costs get added to the amount collected.

Some years ago, I did some work for a firm of solicitors who kept stalling to pay, excuses like the person to authorise payment was out of the country etc. Eventually I raised a small claims, incl. my costs, which was not contested. They still did not pay. After the suitable time had elasped, I instructed the court baliffs - at which point they paid the baliffs immediately, and I got my money a couple of weeks later. The baliffs costs get added to the amount collected.
Maybe a bit different in Canada.

I had done a job for a lady in June, pretty big job. When I finished it was getting later in the evening so I decided to stop by with the bill the following morning. When I got there the next day, she was acting all out of sorts claiming that her savings had been stolen from her safe and that she wouldn’t be able to pay me! She had called the police who called me a couple days later. To date, no progress has been made in that avenue. I left two messages for the investigator working the case with no response. Through talking to him the first time it seemed he may have assumed the same as I, that it was a tactic to get out of paying.
I served her through small claims two weeks ago and have heard nothing yet. If there’s no response within another two weeks, I will be assumed the party at loss to be compensated. My question is, what happens if she just refuses to pay still? Has anyone been faced with this situation and how was it resolved?
You can always put a lien on her property.

Is that a possibility here? I would hope it not get to that point. This is one stubborn old grouch of a lady, I have a hard time thinking she’ll pay up.
I’m not sure about Canada but in the US if someone didn’t pay me then I can put a Lien on the property that I’m working on.

What does that do, just curious.
Possibly the same thing happens here.
It can stop the owner from selling a property if she tries.

My own success story… Scotland, so not the same as England again.
5 years ago, non payer. It’s taking me all this time to get a solicitor to take it to court, and have the woman’s wages arrested.
If you can be patient with it, it’ll be worth doing. There are time frames built into the process… so you feel like giving up half the time..

The Canada legal system must have something in place for this… so speaking to a lawyer would be my first suggestion.

Reply to Success through small claims? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net