Discuss SWA CLEATS IN WOODEN GARDEN SHED in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Is there any requirement or logic to using fire-retardant cable cleats for SWA inside a wooden shed?

There will be a 2 metre vertical run and a 3 metre horizontal run of 4mm 3 core SWA.

Cid's probly right but personally I don't see the point.
It's a wooden shed, if it's on fire then I see no benefit in having fire retardent clips whatsoever. There will be no one alive in it and no one entering.
If the wall which the swa is on is hot enough to melt pvc cleats, then trust me, there is no wall.

Bottom line is , the regs require fire proof fixings to prevent collapse.
As crazy as it seems to fit fire proof fixings to a wooden shed which would just go up like a tinder , just use metal to tick the box.
A bit of bandy will do the job.

We can fix a consumer unit to wood with the rear entry open for cables to enter, and the massive entry hole doesn't have to be sealed, but some people really think you can't use cleats in a wooden shed as it could be a fire risk. Not sure how many firemen would be going inside a burning shed to save the lawnmower.

Just don't use it as a job example for an assessssssssment......:rolleyes:

The regulations simply state that wiring systems shall be constructed to prevent premature collapse in the event of fire, there is no mention of type of installation....shed....domestic....commercial....industrial. Nor does it say common sense can be applied,it's a blanket requirement no matter how daft it might seem. Hence the disagrees to some of the above posts. If you ignore the requirement it's a departure, your call if you want to justify it on your EIC.

The regulations simply state that wiring systems shall be constructed to prevent premature collapse in the event of fire, there is no mention of type of installation....shed....domestic....commercial....industrial. Nor does it say common sense can be applied,it's a blanket requirement no matter how daft it might seem. Hence the disagrees to some of the above posts. If you ignore the requirement it's a departure, your call if you want to justify it on your EIC.
Yeah I can justify it it's absolutely pointless

There's the answer, the wiring system will not collapse prematurely as the structure it is attached to will be in a state of collapse already by the time PVC cleats fail.

Also while no mention of the type of building, the intention is to prevent entanglement of emergency response personnel if they enter a building with a collapsed wiring system.

No firefighter is going to enter a shed other than to rescue a person and I can't recall there being a single case of shed based self immolation, so the whole discussion is moot.

Well it's mootier still as, in the infinitesimally small chance that a firefighter does enter and become entangled, who can prove what failed first and where.

This is so nonsensical I'm wondering if it's trolling?

Reply to SWA CLEATS IN WOODEN GARDEN SHED in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock