Discuss SWA questions, doubting electrician in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

The person "Signing it off" should identify the issues, to which the installer will have to return and fix, followed by a revisit from the "Signing it off" person, who may or may not also be the Notifier.

You may as well cancel the original, pay him off and get someone else who can complete, sign off and notify.

Where are you located, someone here may be able to sort it.?

It is a bit worrying they feel the armour doesn't need earthing because to a competent electrician this is a fundamental requirement.

Totally agree with you. Looks like I’ve been had again then.
The person "Signing it off" should identify the issues, to which the installer will have to return and fix, followed by a revisit from the "Signing it off" person, who may or may not also be the Notifier.

You may as well cancel the original, pay him off and get someone else who can complete, sign off and notify.

Where are you located, someone here may be able to sort it.?

I’m beginning to think it would be signed off regardless. I have currently paid just over half but not sure I should pay the rest and then pay someone else to put it all right, surely I should use the retained money (and no doubt add to it) to get it done correctly.

I’m in the Manchester area.

Totally agree with you. Looks like I’ve been had again then.

I’m beginning to think it would be signed off regardless. I have currently paid just over half but not sure I should pay the rest and then pay someone else to put it all right, surely I should use the retained money (and no doubt add to it) to get it done correctly.

I’m in the Manchester area.
you should give the original sparks the opportunity to rectify it. as it stands, you're on a winner as you have only paid half. talk to him, tell him your concerns. if necessary show him the posts on this thread. if he fixes it and gets it signed off, then pay the balance. if he refuses, don't pay him. you have monies left over to pay someone else. several members in Manc. area should be able to help if needed.

you should give the original sparks the opportunity to rectify it. as it stands, you're on a winner as you have only paid half. talk to him, tell him your concerns. if necessary show him the posts on this thread. if he fixes it and gets it signed off, then pay the balance. if he refuses, don't pay him. you have monies left over to pay someone else. several members in Manc. area should be able to help if needed.

Gave him a chance and just received a reply saying “will leave you to it as I obviously don’t know what I’m doing” so guessing I need to get someone else to sort it. Next issue is whoever I get next is likely to want to start from scratch rather than deal with someone else’s mess I imagine unless they can inspect the ring main and lighting in the garage and be happy with it.

What has made you question the armour of the cable not being earthed because I assume you have limited electrical knowledge.

What has made you question the armour of the cable not being earthed because I assume you have limited electrical knowledge.

Just that within minutes of him leaving we had a pretty serious problem with the system tripping when we plugged items in the kitchen. Started googling to try and find out what was wrong and then eventually led me noticing other issues with the work.

I'd put money on it being the Neutral Earth being terminated the wrong way round causing The RCD to instantly trip if somethings plugged in ?
Given this chap has used what sounds like Stuffing Glands to terminate an SWA instead of the correct Glands maybe he wasn't capable of stripping the Armour properly either.

I bet he forgot which core he'd used as Earth when he got to the other end to connect up.

Hi,what were the issues,causing the tripping ?

Still no idea, been blocked now on FB/messenger so need to find someone else to fix.

Just left it disconnected in my consumer for now as don’t fancy any other major issues in the house. Might start ripping all the 4mm SWA out in the next few days to make it easier for someone else to do.

Oh dear. There seems to be more and more of this type of thread on here, a bit concerning the number of jobs being installed to such a poor standard that even the electrically unskilled clients can see it is wrong. It worries me to think about how many bad jobs are just accepted. It's not even like they tried and made a mistake, the wiring is just chucked in any old way.

I hope you can find someone who cares to do the job correctly.

Oh dear. There seems to be more and more of this type of thread on here, a bit concerning the number of jobs being installed to such a poor standard that even the electrically unskilled clients can see it is wrong. It worries me to think about how many bad jobs are just accepted. It's not even like they tried and made a mistake, the wiring is just chucked in any old way.

I hope you can find someone who cares to do the job correctly.

The way I see it is due to competition people are quoting quite low in order to secure the work, they then go away and source all the parts as cheap as possible and even decide to underspec certain things as they’ll probably get away with it in order to then maximise their profit. Obviously not all are like this and a lot of people still have morals and pride in their work, it’s sorting these out from the cowboys that is difficult for the customer.

The work goes ahead and the poor customer doesn’t know it’s not right and expects the price is probably ok and if it works is none the wiser. That would have been me had I not had the tripping issue immediately which is concerning to say the least.

The result now is it’s probably going to cost me more than it would have done to get someone competent in the first place, however I am unsure how non knowledgeable people are meant to avoid this in the first place.

Actually I'm looking at those board pictures once more can you look at the other end of the terminated cables and post photos? Can't help thinking that's not SWA and maybe just Hi Tuff or similar

Jeez that's rough.
Nobody is perfect and my own thoughts would have been to give the guy a chance to sort it.

He's blown that opportunity.

Fortunately there are a lot of good tradesmen out there who will do the job properly.

Jeez that's rough.
Nobody is perfect and my own thoughts would have been to give the guy a chance to sort it.

He's blown that opportunity.

Fortunately there are a lot of good tradesmen out there who will do the job properly.

Issue now is finding someone who might sign it off without starting the whole thing from scratch. What a rubbish situation.

I take it that's under the consumer unit? If so I very much doubt it will reach unless there's an amount of slack to redo this with a correct gland & banjo without either renewing it or a join or isolator of some kind.

Reply to SWA questions, doubting electrician in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock