Discuss What's the best draw tape? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

johnsparks23

I've got to pull in a draw wire.
The ducting is 64mm black ridgid type ducting, used in blocks of flats etc. For SSE ( the supply authority, DNO) to pull in their orange concentric cable .
we've installed the ducting, the runs are approx 10m max in length. Unfortunately some of the original draw wires were lost during initial installation.
Can somebody please recommend a decent draw tape?
would the cheap nylon one suffice? Or should I invest in a more expensive 3mm type steel tape?
Sparks with prior experience of my dilemma, please advise!
Cheers chaps

I need a draw tape that will push down the ducting. 10m approx. Once the dale is though, I'll pull in a blue rope, donated by the ground workers.

I've got to pull in a draw wire.
The ducting is 64mm black ridgid type ducting, used in blocks of flats etc. For SSE ( the supply authority, DNO) to pull in their orange concentric cable .
we've installed the ducting, the runs are approx 10m max in length. Unfortunately some of the original draw wires were lost during initial installation.
Can somebody please recommend a decent draw tape?
would the cheap nylon one suffice? Or should I invest in a more expensive 3mm type steel tape?
Sparks with prior experience of my dilemma, please advise!
Cheers chaps 

[h=2]Spirado Draw Tape System[/h]

If anything in the vicinity is live this would usually mean you can't use a steel fishtape. You should be able to fish 10 meters in a 64mm pipe using any kind of fishtape with ease, it depends more on the bends, how many and how tight.

A cobra reel would be my weapon of choice.

RS 290-2627 wiremans tape will do the job easily and last a lifetime, I have seen them cheaper than RS price though.

Insulated with steel core similar to the Cobra, use lubricant if tight bends or other cables in the way.

Make a ball out of some plastic sheet and duct tape.
Attach the end of a length of string to the ball, then use an air compressor to blow the ball through the duct.
If the ducting is ribbed, rods would need a wheel or similar on the end to stop the rods catching in the ribs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the advice chaps, I'll let you know how the job goes.
Will initially try a £10 nylon draw tape. Got super rods but I don't think they'll like the bends.

tame rat with string round it's neck.quick blast of a blowtorch up it's arse.

Last edited:

Reply to What's the best draw tape? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock