Discuss 110v ON SITE IN AUSTRAILIA? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

E

Elmocash

Hi All, Friend of mine off to live in Austrailia and not sure if they use transformer fed 110v tools on site down there. Can anyone help, thanks in advance.
Elmo

as far as i am lead to beleive, 110v transformer fed power tools are only manufactured for the uk market. As the is nolonger a requirement (under 17th) to us 110v on construction sites i think you will find the yellow boxes slowly disappearing. have been to OZ a couple of times and have not seen 110 stuff - but then again i was sat in a bar or on a beach!

as far as i am lead to beleive, 110v transformer fed power tools are only manufactured for the uk market. As the is nolonger a requirement (under 17th) to us 110v on construction sites i think you will find the yellow boxes slowly disappearing. have been to OZ a couple of times and have not seen 110 stuff - but then again i was sat in a bar or on a beach!

Im no expert on 110v supplies but i am very surprised they are no longer a requirement,could dinosaur or anyone tell me where this is quoted in the regs. please.There is another theory i often hear is 110v can be avoided if tou have r.c.d protection?I would be very grateful if anyone can clarify this as i think it is an important issue.Thanks. (any quotes from h&s booklets would be of help to.)

What was the theory behind the requirement for 110V transformer fed tools anyhow? You're dead just the same, with either voltage.

If isolated by a transormer both rails are floating. No fixed reference to earth. Therefore, with 110 peak to peak voltage the maximum shock you will get between one of the floating rails and ground is 55v. It's felt that this touch voltage is not going to deliver enough current to kill. There is a formula somewhere in the regs book for working out touch voltages.

That's the idea in a nutshell anyway!

What was the theory behind the requirement for 110V transformer fed tools anyhow? You're dead just the same, with either voltage.

It's not the same as in USA the 110v transformer is a centre tapped one so the maximum voltage is 55v volts to earth single phase or 63.5v if it is via a 3-phase transformer.

Im no expert on 110v supplies but i am very surprised they are no longer a requirement,could dinosaur or anyone tell me where this is quoted in the regs. please. There is another theory i often hear is 110v can be avoided if tou have r.c.d protection?I would be very grateful if anyone can clarify this as i think it is an important issue.

A cct supplying a socket outlet with a rated current not exceeding 32A and any other cct. supplying hand held electrical eqpt with rated current up to and including 32A shall be protected by:
(i) reduced low voltage (reg 411.8) {which defines the 110v supply} OR
(ii) automatic disconnection of the supply with additional protection by an RCD having the characteristics defined in reg 415.1.1 {which is your 30mA - 40mS etc}
(iii)...
(iv)...
But NOTE 1 to the above infers a preference for the reduced low voltage option....
The reduced low voltage system is srongly preferred for the supply to portable hand lamps for general use and portable hand tools and local lighting up to 2kW

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Figures/7.05b.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to 110v ON SITE IN AUSTRAILIA? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock