Discuss Advice On Rewire Of Lighting Circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Thought we should bring the temperature down a little :)
i was just beginning to have fun!

but you are right, i could do with a cold beer. time to put down the book of many words that can be interpreted in many ways.

p.s. gum round the top of the conduit may be acceptable if there are no applicable standards and it is agreed between specifier and installer by special agreement!!!

@Pete999, you pressed the more info at my comment re NICEIC. I was just observing you seem to have very high standards and it would make an assessment a ball breaking experience I think. Most men would be crying. But on the bright side at least you would only be certifying top men. Nothing sinister in it, was an attempt at humour.

I realise it is somewhat late to be suggesting this, ... the problem as I understand it is the conduit is round is not going to take 2x 1.0mm2 flat T&E cables (assuming both switches just need 2 cores & earth).

So would using 4-core & earth round cable with solid cores have been acceptable, for example:
https://www.electricaldirect.co.uk/product/prysmian-4-core-and-earth-cable-15mmx100m-red-888110

Plus something to protect the sharp edge at the top of the conduit, e.g. I've used glue-lined heat shrink in the past, folded over and into the conduit (space permitting).

Obviously this cable would need splitting into the two circuits, e.g. at a Wago box somewhere.

A well rounded and good argument you convinced me @James, thanks for the input it's certainly food for thought.
Thank you @Vortigern
I did flick through the book for points to raise, but not just stick a pin in a page and see what came up. Some thought went into the process!!

As you say, it is all food for thought.

Pete999
Very poor workmanship striping all the mech protection off of the twin cable is very poor the inner cores of the twin, and earth are not designed to be used this way, not a very knowledgeable Electrician, nor is it compliant with the Regulations ( BS7671) PS Did you receive any certification from this so called Electrician? an EIC,
Its not my house Pete. I was commenting on the install.

Well I did not expect this to create so much debate so thanks to everyone for taking the time to contribute, it really is greatly appreciated.

So am I right in saying that we are all in agreement now that the unsheathed twin & earth cores fed down a metal conduit that is unearthed is not acceptable?

Seems that the junction boxes are not great but not dangerous either? A couple a Wago boxes relevant for the connector type used would solve that problem?

Here is a picture of behind one of the light switches that is fed by the cable drop that has the three core with a twin & earth cable fed down it.

You can see the three core cable going through the rear of the back box to the two gang light switch on the other side of the wall.

Attachments

• Switch.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 55
Seems a bit busy for a 1 gang 1 way switch. What does the other switch do? Sure he’s not earthed the back box, and so the split conduit (if the correct fittings have been used)?

Seems a bit busy for a 1 gang 1 way switch. What does the other switch do? Sure he’s not earthed the back box, and so the split conduit (if the correct fittings have been used)?
The switch on the other side of the wall is a two gang switch controlling a pedant & some downlights hence it being two gang.

Because the wires running down the wall are unsheathed he has joined the wires inside the back box & then ran a sheathed piece of three core cable out the back of pictured back box to the other one on the other side of the wall.

The split conduit stops in the wall & does not attach to the back box.

From what I have been told:
The old split tube conduit was never intended to act as a CPC and was never connected back to the MET. In addition, the joints were not of a type where continuity could be ensured.

No idea if this is correct.

Agree with @Midwest those back boxes do not appear to be earthed as the cpcs are connected into an isolated push fit connector. They definitely need to be earthed.

I know it is really hard to tell off just pictures over the internet but do you still think it would be possible to get five 6181Y wires down that single run of conduit?

That is if it is acceptable to only run one earth wire down & split it between the back boxes?

I have never seen 6181Y in person so no idea how thick the insulation is.

I know it is really hard to tell off just pictures over the internet but do you still think it would be possible to get five 6181Y wires down that single run of conduit?

That is if it is acceptable to only run one earth wire down & split it between the back boxes?

I have never seen 6181Y in person so no idea how thick the insulation is.
Difficult to say as you mentioned some of the tubes are flattened. 1mm 6181Y is approximately 4mm diameter but one will have to incorporate a cpc so is slightly larger. As I said before you would have to try each tube before committing to this method.

Difficult to say as you mentioned some of the tubes are flattened. 1mm 6181Y is approximately 4mm diameter but one will have to incorporate a cpc so is slightly larger. As I said before you would have to try each tube before committing to this method.

Fair enough, at least I have this option open to me now as if you had not suggested it I would never even know this product existed so many thanks for that.

If it is feasible it will be much cheaper than Quinetic switches but again I have them to fall back on if all else fails.

I guess because 6181Y is double insulated it can just be ran to the junction box in the loft?

I can see 6181Y cable listed on the CEF website but cannot find one with a CPC attached, is a different model of cable?

Would it be acceptable to run just another 6181Y 1.0mm cable for the CPC & sleeve it with earth sleeving or is this a no go?

Last edited:

Reply to Advice On Rewire Of Lighting Circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net