Discuss Advice wanted - unhappy with rewire in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Write down all your concerns and then share them with the Electrician on Monday.
It's very important to give him chance to put his side across and if need be put the things right before going down any legal routes.
If he is totally dismissive or rude and refuses to do anything about it , then you take things further.

As others have said not tidy but not as bad as it could be and in the sparks defence the loose wire could’ve been caused by anyone moving that socket front.....did you agree to him second fixing before the spreads had been in?
No - he just told us it wasn't necessary... not knowing any different, we went along with it.
the holes might not be the tidiest but in fairness some walls when you chase them out crumble and lumps come out. the chasing doesn't look that bad to be fair from what I can see on the cable runs.
what was specified or agreed with how the armoured cable will be installed as from what i see the reason its in front the skirting board is because it comes out directly above from the consumer unit. even if behind it will still need to come out the wall a few inches below the bottom.
There wasn't a conversation about where the cable would go, so we didn't agree or not agree to that. I guess the whole unit will have to be boxed over, just wondering if that's standard practice.
The second fix has been done. That is the connection of all the accessories, testing, and energising.

This should not have been done ahead of the plastering but that is down to what arrangements were in place between you and all trades.

You should have received an EIC and building control paperwork.... keep pestering them for this, all in written form, and if they ignore you it's time to get in touch with trading standards and/or the scheme that your electrician belongs to.

Yeh - this wasn't agreed or disagreed. They just told us they wouldn't be back for a second fix as it wasn't necessary. We've only realised how much of an issue it's become since the plasterer is having a hard time covering round it... and how much easier (and better it would look) if things were done in order.

Write down all your concerns and then share them with the Electrician on Monday.
It's very important to give him chance to put his side across and if need be put the things right before going down any legal routes.
If he is totally dismissive or rude and refuses to do anything about it , then you take things further.

Yes this definitely sounds fair - I've emailed him a list and we will discuss it further in Monday. Just concerned that he didn't really seem to think any of it was a problem. I guess we'll see how the conversation goes Monday.

The second fix has been done. That is the connection of all the accessories, testing, and energising.

This should not have been done ahead of the plastering but that is down to what arrangements were in place between you and all trades.

You should have received an EIC and building control paperwork.... keep pestering them for this, all in written form, and if they ignore you it's time to get in touch with trading standards and/or the scheme that your electrician belongs to.

Also how quickly is paperwork usually done? It's been three weeks and I checked on NICEIC (who they're registered with) and no work's been registered...

I'll have finished a first fix rewire by the end of Tuesday. Plasterers are coming in to fill my chases and skim every wall after that. Customer asked if I could second fix before the plasterer but I refused because it will make the plasterers job more difficult and probably result in soiled/damaged accessories.
That's how it should be to my mind. The quality of the finished job is worth more than getting my final invoice in early.

Hi, looking at those pics, putting back boxes in solid walls, you nearly always end up with larger holes than the boxes, due to the nature of brick/block work and plaster breaking off.
As others have said, fixing the face plates back, should be done after the plastering and painting has been completed.
As for the live coming out, with all due respect, if this had been fixed I’m securely (I always give my conductors a good tug to ensure they’re secure) it shouldn’t have happened, even if the plasterer has pulled the socket, as this could happen to anyone taking off the face plate in this instance.
A loose conductor should have been detected during testing, with a higher resistance reading. It would be interesting to see the schedule of test results for this circuit

I will weigh in here with my opinion.In general,from the photos,it doesn't look a bad job at all.There are grommets in the boxes,sleeved earth wires etc.The main issue is that they have put the socket fronts on before the plasterer has done his bit.Also the swa in front of the skirting could have been done better but generally a cupboard would be built around the consumer unit and wiring which would cover the swa,so really it's not too big a problem.
The wire coming out of the socket is due to the plasterer pulling it too far forward and yeah it should have been tighter.
The blown single socket looks like it's been caused by what ever was plugged into it,not the socket or the wiring.But with out taking off the single socket to check behind,its only speculation.
So in general the install isn't as bad as everyone is making out ie calling them cowboys etc.Trust me I have seen alot worse.
The only real crime these electrician's have committed is second fixing too early in my opinion.

Plastering looks doggers.

Boxes are not to bad, more care probably would have been taken if the plasterers wernt following

Agree plasterer before second fix, however the client has possibly asked for it this was as a lived in house?

I always oval my cables dinger, but that’s more to prevent the spreads nicking the cable and just plastering it over, don’t believe there’s any requirement in the regs....

Reply to Advice wanted - unhappy with rewire in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock