Discuss Best combi drill in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Looks good to me mate, a lot of torque for such a small drill, I loved my previous Bosch but it was stolen, serious contender if not the one!

Its a very good drill, I would highly recommend it, if you do but Bosch, don't forget to register the warranty straight away online so you get the three years, you need to do the drill, the charger and both batteries.

ah good, it will not let you down. It really is a good drill, the hammer is good too, clearly it's not an add but it's good.

Never really bother using hammer on my combis but will try this one out for light stuff! Got a really heavy duty Bosch hammer drill it's the nuts, bit heavy though for some tasks, looking to get the lightweight version as well!

Just had a look at the dewalts on screwfix website, they look quality! Is it the extreme you use?

I'm going back to Dewalt. Ive had enough of Makita as done 2 combi drills and an impactor in the last 10 months. To be fair they do suffer some abuse but still....
how have you killed the impactors?

ive using mine to do up m10 rawl bolts and make unistrut frames and its fine.

fair enough with the drills my 451 still works but has a dodgy gear selector
458 works fine after changing the bushes (bushes lasted less than a year of very heavy usage)

481 goes on fine and havent killed any 3ah (bl1830) batteries yet

compared to all the other brands its slower, dosnt last as long and doesn't have as much torque (there are comparison vids on youtube)

Its only my opinion. You will always get people say bad and good about every product. If you want to spend 10x the price you may get something better. Reviews and comparisons are not all they are cracked up to be, ok yes on the face of it, it may be a natts whisker slower (maybe) who knows, but does it live longer? Maybe?

What you are saying its the worst out of the entire selection of combi drills.

Im only quoting what you have said. You say it doesn't last as long, I can only take this as a comment someone has made on a review as it maybe broke before another brand? That doesn't mean they all do.

Why do you really need 2000rpm that the DeWalt offers? 1800 rpm is fine.

The other thing to consider, do you want all your cordless tools all different brands? I don't, I like to keep the same throughout as I can swap batteries about.

I have a lot of Bosch kit, and not once has any of it packed up, show signs of giving in or anything and they get a lot of use. My impact driver for example, been used every day pretty well, gets dropped, frequently from top of step ladder, abused, and it still goes perfectly.

Look at this video about this Bosch drill: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EEtGCL-2P8

i Fix laptops from time to time, (with all the bits ive changed on my laptop its NEW)
ACER whom own EMachines, Packard Bell and Gateway.
Make the Same Machine for each of its companies, same case just different logo.
Mine is a 5553 Acer, but works with G640, tm81, nv59 systems.
Just wonder if any of the Electrical Companies do the same.

DeWalt being the Upper classes version of Black and Decer
Milwaukee whom is owned by Techtronic Industries Company Limited who also own Ryobi

i Fix laptops from time to time, (with all the bits ive changed on my laptop its NEW)
ACER whom own EMachines, Packard Bell and Gateway.
Make the Same Machine for each of its companies, same case just different logo.
Mine is a 5553 Acer, but works with G640, tm81, nv59 systems.
Just wonder if any of the Electrical Companies do the same.

DeWalt being the Upper classes version of Black and Decer
Milwaukee whom is owned by Techtronic Industries Company Limited who also own Ryobi

laptops are slightly different as they are all made with off the shelf parts

I wouldnt say Laptops are offer the shelf parts, desktops were there is spose to be a standard and are spose to be IBM Compatible bits brought from Tandy so they had some thing agest apple.

Motors, would be brought in bulk and to save on costs of redesigning they might use the same motor
Switches from model to model

looking at the specs of the DCD732 and DCD737 both 14.4v with a 310W Output
and then there is the DCD790 and DCD795 both 18v with a 360W Ouput
Also the Max Torque (hard/soft) Nm being 57/19 for the DCD732/737 and 60/23 for the DCD790/795

The specs for the DCD732 and the DCD790 seems to suggest same workings
and the specs for the DCD737 and the DCD795
apart from the Impact rating
DCD737 1st gear 0-9500 2nd gear 0-33'200
DCD795 1st gear 0-10'200 2nd gear 0-34'000

I guess the increase of Impact Rating is due to the new Motor
Guessing the Switch will be a standard to keep it cheap but the connection to the battery will be a different. That they would keep the Body work the same to keep it cheap.

As Ive been given a DCD776, with a dead motor, i will look for a motor from a DCD776 or 771
I am wondering if a DCD731 or DCD734 motor will fit tho a bit less power, but it would be having high voltage

Last edited by a moderator:
I say that the difference between the top brands is largely negligible and they are all a much of a muchness.
Hilti & Festool I'd say is a little bit better, but Bosch/Makita/Milwaukee/Dewault/Metabo/Panasonic - yes all much of a muchness. I don't own anything Hilti or Festool fwiw, my kit is mainly Makita.

It seems the Milwaukee may be better from YouTube reviews I've seen, but it comes in nearly £100 more, I like the Bosch personally ans for that money and spec I'm happy!

Hilti is the best drill I've used, my mate had one, it had 3 speeds, the top speed was far too quick nearly snapped your hand off lol, loads of torque and a top piece of kit, expensive tho for my usage!

I say that the difference between the top brands is largely negligible and they are all a much of a muchness.

Thanks for the heads up on the drill mate it's beyond what I thought it would be, didn't think it was as big as it is, it's perfect, loads of torque as well!

How did you sort out the warranty you mentioned? Haven't got anything with it about warranty.

Probably not. They only recell Ni-Cd and Ni-Mh tool batteries. I would imagine that not many people have those kicking about now.

We don't recell these Li-ion makes:
Dewalt, Hilti, Makita, Ryobi, AEG, Facom, Ingersoll Rand, Panasonic, Hitachi and Milwaukee. All these have controller circuits which disable the battery so re-cells are not possible.

Reply to Best combi drill in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net