Discuss Broken PEN? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Check out the story in the link below, it seems that what we're told is 'virtually impossible' with the DNO monitoring equipment has actually happened in Kielder, a broken PEN.

I tested 8 business units and the school there a few months back, it was all PME.

The DNO are refusing liability for the damaged appliances etc. I think 'duty of care' might crop up here!

Kielder Village residents facing huge bills after power surge - Bellingham News - Bellingham, Kielder & North Tyne - Northumberland - JournalLive

It's not very rare at all. We had it happen at our last house. It only affected us though, so all the metalwork became live rather than high voltages occurring where the broken neutral affects multiple customers.

I thought this thread was going to be about a biro...

Last edited:
It's not very rare at all. We had it happen at our last house. It only affected us though, so all the metalwork became live rather than high voltages occurring where the broken neutral affects multiple customers.

Notice I put 'virtually impossible' in inverted commas!

I wouldn't post about anything as trivial as a broken biro, a damaged Montblanc maybe though! ;)

A good few years ago the EMEB as it was then had to cough up for appliances in 3 streets in Nottingham. A contractor had damaged the outer serving of a aluminium waveform cable and over time the PEN had rotted and then burnt out. EMEB tried to claim from the contractor but had problems due to the fact the cable had been uncovered by the gas board, the water board, Diamond cable and Uncle Tom Cobbly. Nobody would admit liability so EMEB had to pay up. The section of cable was in the boards black museum at Woolaton.

If any of you get the chance to go to EmPower grab the chance. It’s worth it just for the museum alone. The electric meter section has some brilliant ways of stopping you meter going around. The 12” carving knife rammed through the front of one was my favourite.

It's extremely Rare!!!

How come a DNO distribution PEN failure, affected your house only, and not to any of your neighbours downstream??

Check out the story in the link below, it seems that what we're told is 'virtually impossible' with the DNO monitoring equipment has actually happened in Kielder, a broken PEN.

I tested 8 business units and the school there a few months back, it was all PME.

The DNO are refusing liability for the damaged appliances etc. I think 'duty of care' might crop up here!

Kielder Village residents facing huge bills after power surge - Bellingham News - Bellingham, Kielder & North Tyne - Northumberland - JournalLive

We know absolutely nothing of what happened here from this news report. All were told, is that of a power surge, nothing about broken PENs ....And it would be PENs not a broken PEN, as the area covered is far too large, for a single broken PEN to have caused!!!

Is this an assumption, or do you have more information than that given in this news story??

We know absolutely nothing of what happened here from this news report. All were told, is that of a power surge, nothing about broken PENs ....And it would be PENs not a broken PEN, as the area covered is far too large, for a single broken PEN to have caused!!!

Is this an assumption, or do you have more information than that given in this news story??

All I have is a second hand story from a caretaker that a 'snapped cable' caused the damage.

The village is in the middle of nowhere and has many miles of overhead but that doesn't explain any PME failure.

I'll keep my ear to the ground and post any updates from the local Sunday paper.

Reply to Broken PEN? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back