Discuss Bulbs flutter with dimmer in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

PapaBear

DIY
Reaction score
I have 3 pendant light fixtures with a total of 540 watts of incandescent bulbs connected to a GE electronic dimmer. The bulbs flutter from bright to dim randomly. I have seen this with LEDs before but not incandescent bulbs. What is wrong?

I have 3 pendant light fixtures with a total of 540 watts of incandescent bulbs connected to a GE electronic dimmer. The bulbs flutter from bright to dim randomly. I have seen this with LEDs before but not incandescent bulbs. What is wrong?
With incandescent bulbs, this sounds like a loose connection, a failing dimmer, or a dimmer suffering from overload.
What is the rating of your dimmer? It's a bit unusual to have dimmers rated over 500W (I'm in the UK!) though they are available.

most dimmers for filament lamps are 400watts max. I've fitted a few 1kW dimmers wherever the load has been > 400w.

most dimmers for filament lamps are 400watts max. I've fitted a few 1kW dimmers wherever the load has been > 400w.
I did wonder given this is for 120V, whether dimers in the USA typically had a higher current rating than UK.
A quick google of GE dimmers (in USA) suggests normally rated at 600W for incandescent. One was 750W!
It would be good to know if the OP's is 600W.

Thanks for the responses. The switch is rated 600W incandescent at 120v.
One thing I would try would be to take the dimmer out of circuit (eg turn power off and connect the permanent live and switched live together at the switch), turn power back on and see if the flickering continues.
If it does there is something up with the wiring.
Time to call an electrician, or if you are competent with electrics, go round checking all the connections on the circuit, eg tightening screw terminals and checking wire nuts.

One thing I would try would be to take the dimmer out of circuit (eg turn power off and connect the permanent live and switched live together at the switch), turn power back on and see if the flickering continues.
If it does there is something up with the wiring.
Time to call an electrician, or if you are competent with electrics, go round checking all the connections on the circuit, eg tightening screw terminals and checking wire nuts.
Good idea. I will give it a try.

Reply to Bulbs flutter with dimmer in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net