Discuss Curious problem - no power to switched toilet extractor fan in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

henryg

DIY
Reaction score
Our toilet extractor has, or so I thought, been failing (delayed startup, bit intermittent) for some time, and yesterday it finally stopped working. Vent-Axia Silhouette 100T.

It's going to be a bit of a pain to replace, so I though I would check the connections first just in case. Imagine my surprise when I put a meter on the incoming supply to find the live read 2.45v rather than 240v, and the switched-live some silly low reading I can't even remember. I thought my meter was broken, but I tested it elsewhere and it is fine. The lights in the toilet work, and the light switch controls the fan as usual. The switch (not a dimmer) is a simple MK single in/out wire, so I assume there must be a junction box somewhere in the ceiling, but if so that will not be easy to get to.

As an aside, would an Xpelair C4 or envirovent Silent-100 be better than another Vent-Axia should it need replacing? I would need a "plug-in" replacement due to cable placement etc.

Any help, ideas, or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Henry

Sounds like maybe the neutral has a problem?

I’d sort the potential neutral problem before putting a new fan in mate.....

Reactions: DPG
If the live to earth voltage is same or similar to the live to nuetrual voltage, you have a fault in the live conductor path.

If not, then probably a neutral fault.

First thought I had when I woke up this morning was "it's probably a problem with the neutral" :blush:
If the live to earth voltage is same or similar to the live to nuetrual voltage, you have a fault in the live conductor path.

If not, then probably a neutral fault.
Hadn't tested live to earth - will do that today.

Really appreciate the advice from those who know, rather than my best guesses.

Keep well, keep safe.

Last edited:
Reactions: DPG

Reply to Curious problem - no power to switched toilet extractor fan in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net