Discuss Doorbell wiring for Ring in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Simon373

DIY
Reaction score
Hi

I’m trying to connect 2 Ring wired doorbells to a chime. Or rather, bypass the chime on the doorbells.

The chime is a Friedland 454. I currently have a standard rear and a front doorbell, both work ok.

In the chime, the wires are currently connected to terminal numbers as follows:

0 - 3 white wires
1 - 1 black wire
2 - No wires
3 - 1 red wire, 1 white wire

Could anyone please help in terms of which terminals I need to connect the Ring jumpers to for front and rear door bells?

Thanks

Attachments

• 8034DDED-02F2-4C04-A22C-37BC2C6DA245.jpeg
    305.6 KB · Views: 22
That looks like a somewhat modified 454, and I can't make head nor tail of it!
All that you're trying to do, is to connect the incoming power from the transformer directly to the wires to each bell push, so as to feed power to each Ring.
There appears to be six wires coming into you chime, and these will be three 2 core cables - one from the transformer, and one to each door push.
You need to connect one wire from each cable together in a group of three, and then connect the other three together in another group.
The link supplied by Ring is effectively just a short piece of wire, although it has a 'lump' in the middle of it. I don't know for certain what this is, but can only surmise it's a non replaceable fuse. As long as your existing transformer is fused, it should be OK not to fit it.

Thanks, I can’t make head nor tail of it either. I was hoping not to need to move any of the wires as the doorbells are both working with the current layout - which I don’t understand.

I’m nervous about moving anything and causing damage to the chime, etc.

What would likely happen if I just replaced the 2 current door bells with the Ring doorbells and left the wiring as is?

Your existing chime will not work when you have fitted the Ring doorbell pushes. Ring does not heavily promote this little fact in their advertising.

Your existing chime will not work when you have fitted the Ring doorbell pushes. Ring does not heavily promote this little fact in their advertising.
Thanks, I think I have now worked out the layout. Please see attached photo.

if this is correct, am I right in thinking that the jumper cable should go between chime A and 3 for front bell and Chime B and 3 for rear bell?

Attachments

• FC07F8BB-030A-4566-A877-4E04A5D28FA4.jpeg
    309.7 KB · Views: 42
It looks like terminal 1 is connecting one of the wires from the transformer to one of each wire to the bell pushes already, via terminals 2,4 and 6 of the length of strip connector, labelling them left to right. Leave that exactly like it is.
Disconnect the white wires from 1, 3 and 5 of the strip connector, then connect the Ring link wires between 1 and 3, and 1 and 5 in their place.

Thanks very much. Just checking my understanding of this I have attached an image with where the Ring cables should go. Red and blue lines.

I’ve also attached a photo of the Ring wire and little connection boxes that come with it. Double checking, do I need the little boxes or do I just remove the existing wires and connect the Ring wire directly to the terminals?

Attachments

• FF1CF6AD-23C2-446F-A02F-7C1B699064B2.jpeg
    262.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 987B53D9-E4DD-48EA-9D84-4706F81ACF5E.jpeg
    961.1 KB · Views: 14
`That diagram appears correct. Since you have the 'choc bloc' already there, there's no need to use the Wago connectors at all.

Reply to Doorbell wiring for Ring in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net