Discuss Emergency lighting in bedsits in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

spud1

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi,

We're currently installing some emergency lighting in the circulation areas and above exit points in a house that is being converted into bedsits (Via 8w standalone bulkheads). I know its risk assessment based but I can't seem to get any clear guidance on where maintained fittings are required to be used and why. As a rule of thumb we have always installed maintained fittings (Switched with the local lighting) above exit points illuminating running man exit legends, but for the life of me I cant think of a good reason why we do this? Also is there any application where a maintained fitting might have to be on permenantly and not switched with the local lighting?

as i see it, a non-maintained fitting willm only illuminate after the failure of the main lighting. in the event of a fire, the emergency lights illuminating escape routes should be illuminated before this happens. i.e maintained. your local council and fire service will have a policy for you to work to.

So your saying all my standalone 8W bulkheads should be maintained as they are all only installed in escape routes? Bearing in mind there is general pendant lighting in these areas too.

yes. if there was a fire, smoke, in the daytime, those pendant lights would not be switched on.

So your saying not only do you put in maintained fittings in escape routes but they have to be permenantly on as apposed to switched with the local lighting?? Im not sure Ive ever seen that.

i'm no expert in the regs regarding em. lighting, but have had a couple of occasions where we have fitted non maintained and local council and/or fire officers have pulled them up and insisted on maintained.

Just to add to Tel's info, He's correct with the spec and asking to see recommended plan if available but if this is for a new council licence which it sounds it if Emg not already in place. Really you should be looking to getting it schemed by the a lighting company but in reality it would require non-maintained along the entire exit route but this would depend on the current lighting on time clock or timelag switched as if a fire did happen you would have to look for a light switch to exite there was a fire does not mean there would be a power cut at the same time, this is why a scheme needs to be carried out to assess if the light level required maintained or not. it may be that the normal lighting is switched via pir's so this may not be required if normal lighting was sufficient so non-maintaned would be fine. all exit route as said would need to be covered giving a safe exit, also all changes in direction and stairways need coverage. Final exits should always be maintained. concideration should be made if outside the exit requires additional lighting for safe escape, especially if a stairway to leave to building to the street is made.
Fire exit legends (running man signs) also form part of the requirement and photoluminesant type may have to be used if advised.
If the light have to be installed it may be better to use maintained combined drum fittings and use them for both normal and emergency and make a cost and installation saving. all just a thought. :)

OK now Im confused ! The house is a five bedroom victorian house being converted into 5 bedsits with communal living areas, stairways, landings and halls. We have installed non maintained 8 w bulkheads in all circulation areas, corridors, escape routes, landings, halls you name it we ve done it. The 3No. exits have MAINTAINED 8 w bulkheads with exit legends switched on with the local light fittings (i.e. not permenantly on) does this sound acceptable ?

I would have said no to the final exits being switched from other jobs we have done as the fire office and designer has always asked for maintaned and perminantly on, just for the final exits. But then they may accept the photoluminesant legends as well.
Its really down to the person signing it off and accepting it, hence why i said get it schemed as no two places are the same.
Got to ask though why would you want to switch a final exit sign ?

Good question. I think this is where my confusion lies. I will contact the local authority and get guidance. Thanks you have been a real help.

Reply to Emergency lighting in bedsits in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock