Discuss Emergency lighting in HMO in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Sb8389

-
Reaction score
Hi guys
We have being asked to install some emergency lighting at a 3 storey HMO, the lighting has being designed and it’s basically being designed to include an emergency lights on each landing and one on the stairs with relevant signs to indicate stair level changes, the ground floor has 3 separate compartments including hall/dining area leading to rear exit and 2 separate kitchen compartments leading to exit also, they have included one emergency light in each of these areas.
My question is on the installation certificate it states there should be 2 luminaries per compartment, is this the case regardless of property type?
It also states that you should have a minimum of 5lux above cal points and fire panel, I don’t see one luminaire achieving this?
I think it would be overkill if we carried this out to the regulations as we would end up with 11/12 emergency lights just to the ground floor, something I have never seen an HMO before.
Do you have to satisfy all requirements on the certificate in order for it to comply.
The council are due to attend the property shortly so am I best waiting to see if they are satisfied with the design?
Be interested to know your thoughts from those of you that have installed emergency lighting in the same sort of property.

Hi guys
We have being asked to install some emergency lighting at a 3 storey HMO, the lighting has being designed and it’s basically being designed to include an emergency lights on each landing and one on the stairs with relevant signs to indicate stair level changes, the ground floor has 3 separate compartments including hall/dining area leading to rear exit and 2 separate kitchen compartments leading to exit also, they have included one emergency light in each of these areas.
My question is on the installation certificate it states there should be 2 luminaries per compartment, is this the case regardless of property type?
It also states that you should have a minimum of 5lux above cal points and fire panel, I don’t see one luminaire achieving this?
I think it would be overkill if we carried this out to the regulations as we would end up with 11/12 emergency lights just to the ground floor, something I have never seen an HMO before.
Do you have to satisfy all requirements on the certificate in order for it to comply.
The council are due to attend the property shortly so am I best waiting to see if they are satisfied with the design?
Be interested to know your thoughts from those of you that have installed emergency lighting in the same sort of property.
I would wait for that licensing authority to inspect as they will be in a position to direct any shortcomings to both 5266 and Thier individual licensing stipulations

I have briefly looked at it yes, struggling to find the answers I’m asking, I’m no expert in this field so just want some advice from people with experience.

You can go to manufacturers/wholesalers and most offer a free design service for lighting (and emergency lighting), if you're struggling then I'd suggest taking up the service.

This is what I have done and they have designed the lighting plan, my question is on the installation certificate it states there should be 2 luminaries per compartment and he has installed one so I can’t tick that part and the regs state the fire equipment should be illuminated to min 5 lux which I don’t think will be achieved so in these cases does that make the install non compliant.

This is what I have done and they have designed the lighting plan, my question is on the installation certificate it states there should be 2 luminaries per compartment and he has installed one so I can’t tick that part and the regs state the fire equipment should be illuminated to min 5 lux which I don’t think will be achieved so in these cases does that make the install non compliant.
If the plan has been properly designed then the requirements will have been met, speak with the licensing authority regarding your concern and thry may allow deviation from the standard (in terms of luminarie quantity on that basis that the Lux levels are met), if they allow it then record the deviation on the certificate.

The two luminaire requirement is taking into consideration failure of individual emergency escape lighting luminaires and minimising the risk by ensuring there are at least two luminaires visible in each room (open areas) which require emergency lighting and in the escape route.

If the design is for you to install there are no questions for you. Unless there are queries that sometimes arise. As to the lux, modern LED Em. lights are more than capable of exceeding the lux required by many times in some instances. You would have to look at the photometric data from the manufacturer to ensure you complied with the design spec. Though generally they seem to exceed requirements. That of course if if you don't have a calibrated lux meter? if so then the photometric data is the way to go.

Reply to Emergency lighting in HMO in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock