Discuss Emergency lighting regs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I don’t get out much now, but never seen one of these. I am doubtful that it will meet the relavent standards. Do you have a link to the product?

does this “sticker” light up in the event of a power failure?
Will it remain illuminated for 2 hours?
How does it “recharge” itself?

Ps. As this is an exit door, does this open on to an illuminated exit area, or will you also need an emergency light outside?

So my health and safety at work are talking pish when they say our fire exit door doesn't need an emergency light and can just have a sticker that illuminates?
I wouldn't be quite ready to say that without seeing the fire risk assessment for the building.
Emergency lighting is usually designed based on a fire risk assessment.
So it isn't a simple question.

Regarding emergency lighting, does a fire exit door require an emergency light above it or can you use a sticker that illuminates?

The basic requirement is a generally a fire exit sign above the door and an emergency light within 2m horizontally of the door (subject to illuminance levels being correct)
The sign may be of the self illuminated type or may be illuminated externally by an emergency light fitting.

Photoluminescent (glow in the dark) signs may be used but they do not count as self illuminated and must have a source of light suitable to keep them 'charged' so that they operate in an emergency.

As above the fire risk assessment may add additional requirements above the basics.

The basic requirement is a generally a fire exit sign above the door and an emergency light within 2m horizontally of the door (subject to illuminance levels being correct)
The sign may be of the self illuminated type or may be illuminated externally by an emergency light fitting.

Photoluminescent (glow in the dark) signs may be used but they do not count as self illuminated and must have a source of light suitable to keep them 'charged' so that they operate in an emergency.

As above the fire risk assessment may add additional requirements above the basics.
Thanks. This is exactly what I believed to be correct

I don’t get out much now, but never seen one of these. I am doubtful that it will meet the relavent standards. Do you have a link to the product?

does this “sticker” light up in the event of a power failure?
Will it remain illuminated for 2 hours?
How does it “recharge” itself?

Ps. As this is an exit door, does this open on to an illuminated exit area, or will you also need an emergency light outside?
Its basically like those glow in the dark stickers you get for kids.
Oh ok. So it is part of the escape route plan?
Sorry no. There is no lighting or signage directing you to that door. Basically we want to use the door as a means of going outside for fresh air but they say we can't as it's a fire exit door. I say it isn't because their is no signage and emergency light above or near the door.

Its basically like those glow in the dark stickers you get for kids.

Sorry no. There is no lighting or signage directing you to that door. Basically we want to use the door as a means of going outside for fresh air but they say we can't as it's a fire exit door. I say it isn't because their is no signage and emergency light above or near the door.
If it's not part of the escape route then it's just a door. Has it got a push bar or handle opener on it or does it need to be unlocked before you open it?

If it's not part of the escape route then it's just a door. Has it got a push bar or handle opener on it or does it need to be unlocked before you open it?
Well the plot thickens. Lol. It has a break glass lock on it. But also has a padlock on it which you can use to open it without breaking the glass. (But one of the managers has hide the key) It is also the only disabled access to the first floor. 🤣

Well the plot thickens. Lol. It has a break glass lock on it. But also has a padlock on it which you can use to open it without breaking the glass. (But one of the managers has hide the key) It is also the only disabled access to the first floor. 🤣

You mean something like this:
1687864294989.png

Says "Unit can be secured with Padlocks to prevent ceramic tube being removed by unauthorised personnel, while remaining fully operational".

Fire exit doors are supposed to be opened regularly, to check they aren't swollen and stuck and that there isn't anything the other side blocking it.

Does this door open into an area outside where you can get away from the building, if on fire, like car park or other yard, which if secured also has a fire exit in the wall / fence?

As an electrical building services designer, I can confirm davesparks is correct.

The other thing you need to consider is BS5266 calls for an increased emergency lighting level at locations such as containing firefighting equipment, fire alarm panels, break glasses & push bars on escape doors.

Reply to Emergency lighting regs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net