Discuss Extending 6mm oven wire in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Rawsox8

DIY
Reaction score
Hello, so before we start ive done basic electric work at home, so please dont crucify me too much haha

Right, i have a dedicated fuse for the oven in the fuse box, so does that mean it has its own circuit i take it?!

My current setup is oven on an island, a walkway and hob (gas) on the other side of the kitchen. Im gutting my kitchen and want to put an induction hob where my gas one is (gas cut off by my mate whos a gas engineer) and an oven inderneath with a 10cm gap for air venting.

I was thinking i could get a joiner box to connect some more 10mm wire to the existing wire, run the wire under the floor in a plastic tube (incase i need to remove it in years to come save ripping the floor up) and connect the oven and hob to the one single 10mm wire with a 2 gang joining box (not correct name im sure ha.

Or am i being --- and just call a sparky out to wire me in a new pair of wires for hob and oven from the fuse box?!

I read somewhere that joining 10mm oven wire is fine with a joining box aslong as its not being buried in a wall so its visible for inspection.

Any thoughts?! And costs for this if i have to get en electrician out?!

You can not extend a hob from existing oven more then 2mters espacaily a hob.
New circuit would be in order, what is the rating of the hob.i would get a local spark in to sort it out.

Last edited:
From the title its says 'Extending 6mm oven wire' so not sure what benefit you are expecting by joining a 10mm cable to it??

Agree with buzz a new circuit from consumer unit.

From the title its says 'Extending 6mm oven wire' so not sure what benefit you are expecting by joining a 10mm cable to it??

Agree with buzz a new circuit from consumer unit.
Well i changed the description to 10mm as im not sure what size the grey cable is seems bigger than 6mm, but didnt change the title.
I will ring an electrician. Thanks

Reply to Extending 6mm oven wire in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock