Discuss External Electrics, cable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Just out of interest, how deep has the electrician put the cable in the ground?

Thanks all, he is also providing Part P certification, could he do that if he wires it like this? I mean, is it legal? From your replies it seems as though it’s not ?
It’s buried about 2 inches down, I think.

It does not comply with requirements. And at only 2 inches down that is a real worry. A spade would go straight through that.

It does not comply with requirements. And at only 2 inches down that is a real worry. A spade would go straight through that.

Not much room for warning tape either, never mind the flora has survived.
Was there a vast difference between quotes?

I’ll speak with him and say that I’ll pay more for armoured cable

You should not have to pay extra to get a job done in a safe and compliant manner. That should be included in any job at any price.

It’s buried about 2 inches down, I think.

He was quite a bit cheaper, I’ll speak with him and say that I’ll pay more for armoured cable.
Thanks everyone, I’m so glad I asked!! x

The cable needs to be buried at least 500mm (20 inches) deep, with warning tape above the cable. Any shallower is against the regs.

I can understand why he was so cheap now.......

I can see that maybe misconstrued. I was aiming it at the electrician not the OP.
No I understood that . I was referring to the work too.
I thought at the change in the forum it applied to the criticism of the standard of work posted too.
The OP can only take a quote at face value. I gave her post a like as she had the sense to know something is wrong , and her manners to say thank you.

that conduit is cheep pvc conduit and has no mechanical protection at all.
as above, I am concerned about the corners this "tradesman" is willing to cut just to save £5

working on 2.5mm cable as its coming from a spur.

swa cable £1.50 to £2 per meter 10m of is £20 tops

giving excellent protection for direct burying

or what you have got
twin and earth £0.50 per meter £5
pvc conduit 10m contactor pack £10

there is no need in my opinion to consider anything other than swa armoured cable for this application, especially as its a short run of small cable and the cost difference of cables are negligible.

I would not recommend paying more to change the cable type.

is this electrician registered with a part p scheme?
[automerge]1575475132[/automerge]
elecsa_fig_1.jpg

Last edited:
He was quite a bit cheaper, I’ll speak with him and say that I’ll pay more for armoured cable.
Thanks everyone, I’m so glad I asked!! x
If they quoted for armoured cable then that's what you should get.

I'd honestly consider getting rid of this tradesman though because that work is rough as old socks, non compliant, and I would not have any faith in any work they do after this.

Any electrician knows this is totally unacceptable and unsuitable, so they either don't know their job or are trying to pull a fast one. Both reasons would have me not wanting any further work from them.

@Mary1234 , How much was the quote for this work?
Do you have the quote in writing or was it a verbal quote?

If they quoted for armoured cable then that's what you should get.

I'd honestly consider getting rid of this tradesman though because that work is rough as old socks, non compliant, and I would not have any faith in any work they do after this.

Any electrician knows this is totally unacceptable and unsuitable, so they either don't know their job or are trying to pull a fast one. Both reasons would have me not wanting any further work from them.

That’s sometimes hard for some people to do. What’s the OP to do, tell her electrician she’s been on a forum, and they reckon your work is pants, halfway through the install. He/she might think they are being had over.

Unless the OP is of the confident type :), she might ask the electrician to qualify his work, she was quoted for and expected swa cable. Get him to prove what he’s doing is correct. Ask him to email his scheme etc. Just my opinion.

If hes with a scheme check his membership out against said part p body, you could even tell them your concerned about some work one of their members is currently doing to get them to take a look?

Reply to External Electrics, cable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net