Discuss Fused switch to tumble dryer connector issue in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

kazador39

DIY
Reaction score
I have had a new kitchen 3 months ago and the new integrated tumble dryer stopped working. No power, nothing. It is under warranty so an engineer came out and fixed it. He said that the plug has been cut off and a three pin push fit connector is in its place. He replaced the cable and plugged it into the wall and it works.
I have a fused 13amp switch above the work top with the cable running behind the tiles. This cable does not end in a socket but another 3 pin push fit connector. I googled it and they are normally used for lighting. I need to change this to a socket. Can I put a normal 13amp socket on the end or do I need something else?

So the tumble drier is now plugged into a different 13A socket and this other connector is still there but not powering the drier?
Can you show a picture.

So the first pic is of the switches. It is plugged into the double socket. The switch on the right is the fused switch it was running off and the second pic is the connector that is on the end of the fused switch and was on the end of the tumble dryer.

Attachments

• DSC_0005.JPG
    178.6 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC_0006.JPG
    346 KB · Views: 10
Yes you could replace it with a fixed socket on the wall. Did they say why the dryer stopped working because I can't see that connector being the reason if it was connected correctly. Can you see a rating on it like 230v 16A for example.

No never said. All he replaced was the whole cable and it worked straight away. It had worked for 3 months without a problem. The other issue is that the kitchen fitter changed all the appliances to have these connectors.
Can I put a standard socket? Doesn't matter about the plug with a fuse going to a socket going to another fused switch?

Yes you can fit a socket to the wall but it needs to be established why it stopped working. Can you see a rating on the connector.

Yes it says 20amp. I changed the fuse which is 13amp for another 13amp fuse and it didn't do anything. Once I put the socket on I will be testing it first with the socket tester.

If it is rated at 20A then it should have been fine for the dryer assuming it is connected correctly. It doesn't appear to have over heated so it needs establishing what the actual issue was.

Reply to Fused switch to tumble dryer connector issue in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net