Discuss general rant....ish in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

The last time there was any reference to a cooker switch in the Regulations was in the 14th edition.

"A.29
Every stationary cooking appliance shall be controlled by a switchseparate from the appliance and within 6 feet of the appliance. Where twostationary cooking appliances are installed in one room, one switch may be usedto control the two appliances provided that neither appliance is more than 6feet from the switch."

For some reason, the OSGs keep refering to this, even though the requirement was removed some ten years before the first OSG was published.

Forget your BGB & OSG what does it say in the appliance manual/instructions! Because if some think was to go wrong thats the first place the inspectors will look. They nearly always say they need local isolation. Good on you for not been one of these fit it and walk way with there money types.

The last time there was any reference to a cooker switch in the Regulations was in the 14th edition.

"A.29
Every stationary cooking appliance shall be controlled by a switchseparate from the appliance and within 6 feet of the appliance. Where twostationary cooking appliances are installed in one room, one switch may be usedto control the two appliances provided that neither appliance is more than 6feet from the switch."

For some reason, the OSGs keep refering to this, even though the requirement was removed some ten years before the first OSG was published.

I think it's due to the OSG being an amalgamation of BS7671 and the building regs, which refer to the 2 metre "recommendation".

REG 537.4.1.1 --- Means shall be provided for emergency switching of any part of an installation where it may be necessary to control the supply to remove an unexpected danger

Pretty sure a chip pan fire would be included in this description

REG 537.4.2.5 The means of operation shall be readily accessible at places where a danger might occur

Maybe within 2m of cooker rather than in basement

REG 537.4.1.1 --- Means shall be provided for emergency switching of any part of an installation where it may be necessary to control the supply to remove an unexpected dangerPretty sure a chip pan fire would be included in this description
I'm pretty sure I would be going for a wet tea cloth or fire blanket !!! Not a switch!

Reply to general rant....ish in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net