Discuss How to trace a break in a cable? In a wall! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I understood jointing cables inside walls/floors was allowable as long as you used a maintenance-free junction/terminal.
So not convinced the entire cable needs to be replaced.

As @Wilko said in post #8, it is a guaranteed fix.
You can also crimp or solder cables together, as long as you do a proper job. I would, whenever possible, replace the cable.

I once had a break in a brand new "un damaged" cable, a leg of the RFC. It turned out to be a faulty piece. Fortunately I had installed it neatly in capping so although now newly plastered I was able to pull a new leg in.
The moral of the story being that care and attention during installation pays dividends even when least expecting.

Hire a trained electrician save yourself time and money in a tester. DIYers are dangerous when not properly trained

A bit of a sweeping brush statement....

My gas boiler was broken down in my house 2 weeks ago and i certainly didnt try to fix it. I hired a qualified competent person to do it properly and safely. Electric is just as dangerous..

I think not..
Gas is way more dangerous. Electricity will usually kill one person. Gas on the other hand can take down houses... killing a lot more than one..

Is electricity not capable of starting a fire which could burn down a building? As little as a poor connection can start a fire.

It is possible...
Still not as dangerous as a gas explosion..

Is it any better than one person would be to die because of electricity rather than a group in a gas explosion? Or would it be better if the work was carried out and tested by a competent person and no one died

How about 'The work is carried out correctly and no one dies'.
The OP is trying to find and fix a bust wire..

Well that's my view on DIYers trying to save a few quid and the possible consequences. I guess we will agree to disagree.

Everyone tries to save money mate.. If they can.
We don't know the OP. He might be interested in sorting this out himself. Improve his knowledge of things. Who knows... He's most prob buggered off now..... can't blame him...

Just disconnect the cable end to end and get a bit or length of cable a battery and a car lamp and attach it to each end to test continuity.

My response to all DIYers. My gas boiler was broken down in my house 2 weeks ago and i certainly didnt try to fix it. I hired a qualified competent person to do it properly and safely. Electric is just as dangerous, so why do so many DIYers mess with it?
My boiler broke down 5 years ago, researched the issues took the logic board out re-soldered the dry joints and put it back together still working.

Don't be afraid of gas, washing up liquid or a match are the two best tools to have. ;o))))

Is it any better than one person would be to die because of electricity rather than a group in a gas explosion? Or would it be better if the work was carried out and tested by a competent person and no one died
I don't think anyone disagrees with you, electricity can be extremely dangerous. I think in this situation its more about the context.

A work colleague of my partner passed away a few years back due to a poorly fitted flu on a gas fired boiler. She was slowly poisoned by carbon-monoxide over a few weeks.
Just as easily a poor electrical connection may result in arcing then fire and could cause just as a serious fatality.

Both gas & electricity should be respected since both can cause serious damage, injury or death if mis-used/neglected.

My boiler broke down 5 years ago, researched the issues took the logic board out re-soldered the dry joints and put it back together still working.!
Replacing/repairing a PCB is a little different than working on the gas/burner &/or emissions part of a boiler. I'd still would have had it tested to make sure it was burning efficiently and cleanly & that the emissions were still being properly vented!

Replacing/repairing a PCB is a little different than working on the gas/burner &/or emissions part of a boiler. I'd still would have had it tested to make sure it was burning efficiently and cleanly & that the emissions were still being properly vented!
There was no mention of the work carried out just that the biller bike down, in my rental every often I had to go and pump the pressure vessel up to the correct pressure.

Reply to How to trace a break in a cable? In a wall! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net