Discuss In your country, do you use pipe to run wire through very much? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

From a good practice point of view the trench should have been blinded with a concrete layer or clayboard to lay the reinforcement/ducts on, this would prevent the concrete from being contaminated by stones and earth kicked up when the concrete is poured into the formwork, the stones and earth can facilitate a path for moisture and rusts the reinforcement this in turn expands and breaks open the concrete (concrete cancer) at best or the ducts at worst.

I think the duct bank will be good for 100 years or better. But your welcome to take that up with an architect.
Normally I see a footer or concrete wall for a building; whether pre cast or otherwise, it's filled back in with dirt around it.

You have not understood my post, try reading it again.

I don't see how rock or earth will get in the concrete as it's poured. It gets pushed out by concrete, not mixed in. In fact some concrete have aggregate added for strength, which is essentially rocks.

As I explained previously, we were required to put 1.5" thick block under the interlocking plastic spacers that the conduit is set in. So now, with the spacers holding the PVC above the earth by 2 or 3", & the block another 1.5", there is a gap of 3.5" of concrete under the PVC.

Last edited:
Well you can go against the perceived wisdom of every Structural Engineer and carry on thinking that way, it's up to you, but don't try and get a job as a Ground Works Engineer.

Well you can go against the perceived wisdom of every Structural Engineer and carry on thinking that way, it's up to you, but don't try and get a job as a Ground Works Engineer.

As I said before, this was how it was engineered. There was a detail in the prints that laid it out as such. So apparently, I'm not the only one going against your 'percieved wisdom'. The ONLY difference was the engineer wanted it raised a bit more, so I had my crew put patio block under the supports, which was approved by said engineer.
I try not to make a habit of second guessing & calling out the engineers. But I do know a few engineers that do.
Thanks for the heads up, mate.

Big difference between a "Site Engineer" and a "Structural Engineer" in my working life I sat on the main board of the Institute of Structural Engineers and a few other construction related Institute's and Association's, so know a little about the process.

You can prevaricate as long as you like, but that trench should have been blinded and not as shown as bare earth which would contaminate the concrete.

Big difference between a "Site Engineer" and a "Structural Engineer" in my working life I sat on the main board of the Institute of Structural Engineers and a few other construction related Institute's and Association's, so know a little about the process.

You can prevaricate as long as you like, but that trench should have been blinded and not as shown as bare earth which would contaminate the concrete.

Unless I've missed something, you're arguing with an electrician who is following an engineer's instruction. It's not really their place to tell that engineer how to do their job.

The problem is that most Electricians would not know the difference between a "Site Engineer" and a qualified "Structural Engineer" a Structural Engineer would never have allowed the concrete to be cast on earth and onto paving slabs as spacers.

The problem is that most Electricians would not know the difference between a "Site Engineer" and a qualified "Structural Engineer" a Structural Engineer would never have allowed the concrete to be cast on earth and onto paving slabs as spacers.

It WAS questioned, the whole deal, before I got there. (Thought I made it clear) I was told, "this is what we want." My boss did say it should be on top of a "pad", the engineer disagreed, till the day before our first pour. He said it should be raised up off the dirt. You almost HEAR our eyes rolling into the backs of oue collective heads. The blocks were my (cheap, easy) suggestion. Had to send guys in to pry it up on each side at each spacer to do this.
You've made me out to be an: "OK BOSS I JUST DO AS I TOLD". I try to pick my battles, carefully. I came in and read the room correctly. We knew it was at least sufficient (50-100 years?) before the feeders would be in question. Structural engineer, site engineer... whatever; his seal is on those prints.
Cheers

PS. You've helped prove my point: every engineer thinks they're correct.

There should not be any dirt for it to be raised off, and to add to your comment, every Electrician thinks they know more. :rolleyes:
[automerge]1601507255[/automerge]
Oh I dunno, met a few dipstick Engineers in my time, by all means question them politely
Most Qualified Engineers I find to be very sensible, it's the ones who are not qualified and call themselves engineers that tend to be dipsticks, but then I find a lot of supposedly qualified electricians to be very off the wall.

Last edited:
There should not be any dirt for it to be raised off, and to add to your comment, every Electrician thinks they know more. :rolleyes:
[automerge]1601507255[/automerge]

Most Qualified Engineers I find to be very sensible, it's the ones who are not qualified and call themselves engineers that tend to be dipsticks, but then I find a lot of supposedly qualified electricians to be very off the wall.

A very derogatory comment about electricians that.

Well I did some conduit last week, it started as 3 pieces and I got a bit carried away... I wanted some practice. I learned a lot about measuring sets, something I sucked badly at, not easy when we don't really have bending formulas in the UK. Shame we only get to do 3 or 4 small steel conduit installs a year. No conduit graveyard at the end either! If I did it again I would plan the routes so the pipes didn't cross over, oh well.
In your country, do you use pipe to run wire through very much? lol conduit - EletriciansForums.net

Reply to In your country, do you use pipe to run wire through very much? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock