• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss In your country, do you use pipe to run wire through very much? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

We do things a little differently to you and use different materials but the short answer is yes.
Slightly longer answer is that we use very little conduit / pipe in domestic installations but it's very common in commercial and industrial sectors.

Plumbers use pipe

electricians use conduit
or tube.? ?

we tend to use trunking for the multiple cables, dropping down in conduit for each accessory. i understand that Americans tend to use multiple runs of conduit.

good hardwood pipes are for smoking. bent pipes are a wet-pants problem.

Plumbers use pipe

electricians use conduit
Really I didn’t know that
[automerge]1598993327[/automerge]
Americans use EMT
Not always Mainly in industrial applications @pc1966
[automerge]1598993495[/automerge]
or tube.? ?

we tend to use trunking for the multiple cables, dropping down in conduit for each accessory. i understand that Americans tend to use multiple runs of conduit.
@telectrix If we are installing a parallel run of conduit like 3000 amps yes we run multiple conduits unless the customer wants tray cable

Last edited:
omg the arrogance of my trade, I swear. never ONCE did I say i didnt know how to bend pipe. I was asking people IN OTHER COUNTRIES how common is it.

Second... its not "conduit" its PIPE. if you commonly call emt, "conduit" instead of Pipe, thats your problem. we are in different parts of the planet and people use different terminology. however, 'conduit' can include PVC or MC
when you say "can you bend pipe" everyone knows what that is

omg the arrogance of my trade, I swear. never ONCE did I say i didnt know how to bend pipe. I was asking people IN OTHER COUNTRIES how common is it.

Second... its not "conduit" its PIPE. if you commonly call emt, "conduit" instead of Pipe, thats your problem. we are in different parts of the planet and people use different terminology. however, 'conduit' can include PVC or MC

I don't think people are being arrogant on here. Perhaps if you made it clearer what you were saying/asking/wanting to know, rather than just putting 'can you bend pipe?' and leaving it at that.

Joe sparky yes your terminology is very much different , I do find the American / North American/ Canadian way of doing things quite interesting...

conduit , pipe , tube ITS all the same thing

probably the biggest noticeable differences that I have seen is you use a foot bender we use a vice bender and you use screw couplers we use threaded couplers...

In Northern Ireland and I think Southern Ireland in domestic we use PVC pipe. Into every box. Never ever used capping etc. No idea why but the rest of the UK seem to not have to use it. Anyone know the reason?

Welcome to the forum joesparky

Welcome.
I think some of this was intended as humor but did not work out as funny.
Incidentally I looked up a bit more on the USA stuff after @Megawatt comment and found this stuff, fantastic:
@pc1966 you just taught me something new. I didn’t know that they even made different colors of conduit.

In Northern Ireland and I think Southern Ireland in domestic we use PVC pipe. Into every box. Never ever used capping etc. No idea why but the rest of the UK seem to not have to use it. Anyone know the reason?
1 of the reasons is DEPTH. capping or oval tube can be buried plaster depth. 20mm round conduit requires chasing into brick.

1 of the reasons is DEPTH. capping or oval tube can be buried plaster depth. 20mm round conduit requires chasing into brick.

Yes but why ?

Why do we make it harder for ourselves and ensure every single track etc is conduited. I've been asked and have asked it of other Northern Irish sparks for years and no one knows. Just that if you attempted to not use it here you would be laughed off site

Reply to In your country, do you use pipe to run wire through very much? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back