Currently reading:
Kevin please change careers before killing someone

Discuss Kevin please change careers before killing someone in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,
If you're a spark, you're reading this, your name is Kevin, you work in the Manchester area and you did a job in Rusholme yesterday on lights that kept tripping the RCD - Please reconsider your career before you do serious damage.
It's forgivable that you were unable to diagnose an insulation fault with the lights and blamed it on a faulty RCD (though the customer said you thought it was both RCDs which should have made you think again). I presume you don't have the right equipment for insulation & RCD testing?
It's also forgivable taking the lights off the RCD as a tempary measure.
What isn't forgivable is taking the 1.5mm lighting circuit with an insulation fault on it, taking it off the 6A breaker and putting it directly on the main ccu switch protected only by the suppliers 100A fuse! To compound matters you didn't even put it on the consumer side. Instead putting it on the supply side so when the customer was getting a firework display last night - they couldn't even isolate the electrics!!!
I don't know how much current was going through the light fitting but even the copper had disintergrated.
I seriously believe if I hadn't attended at 1am this morning there wouldn't be a house still standing.

Would not like to meet you on site, CDM is now revised, its 2017, anyone who does not keep up with legislation is as bad as the electrician in the OP's post, prior to 2017 a private residence did not come under the CDM legislation unless the work involved over five contractors or was to last over thirty days.

Incidentally the Health and Safety at work act is dated 1954 are you going back before that with you comment of it not being a consideration or just that you never considered it?

For your information you have to carry out a Hazard Analysis before you document a Risk Assessment.

Without knowing the correct process you are putting your client and any company you work for in direct contravention of the law and open to prosecution it may seem clever to poo poo this, but when you have to stand up in court and answer a prosecuting Barristers questions you want feel so smart.

Oh dear me,it seems they infiltrate into all our pastimes as well

Yes I remember the days when the young were not put in danger by being overly protected by the H+S obsession that pervades our lives;)
It is apparent these days that the young rely too much on others for their well being and safety
It has left them with not enough awareness of the dangers that life throws at us,they are now so ill prepared for looking after themselves.
The evidence for my statement can be found in experience,my experience :(

Would not like to meet you on site, CDM is now revised, its 2017, anyone who does not keep up with legislation is as bad as the electrician in the OP's post, prior to 2017 a private residence did not come under the CDM legislation unless the work involved over five contractors or was to last over thirty days.

Incidentally the Health and Safety at work act is dated 1954 are you going back before that with you comment of it not being a consideration or just that you never considered it?

For your information you have to carry out a Hazard Analysis before you document a Risk Assessment.

Without knowing the correct process you are putting your client and any company you work for in direct contravention of the law and open to prosecution it may seem clever to poo poo this, but when you have to stand up in court and answer a prosecuting Barristers questions you want feel so smart.

Actually the Construction (Design & Management) Regulations came into force in 2015, replacing CDM 2007. The reason I concerned myself with it then, was because (amongst other things)the exemption for domestic clients, was removed in 2015 . Have you not been keeping up with legislation, since 2015 then? The only reference I can find about 2017, is a survey suggesting that CDM 2015 was failing to take root, but if you have further information, please share.

Don't worry yourself Michael, I have a handy little app called CDM Wizard, that I downloaded from the CITB web site way back in 2015, which of course I religiously complete every time, before entering Mrs Miggans house, for example. It does it all for me, to make sure I comply with current such legislation. Do you not have this application?

Lastly, I'll never poo poo, a pooh pooher, can get you in all sorts of poo poo;

No I haven't and don't, I retired in 2010 and only had a passing brief of checking over the 2015 revisions before they where finalised, CDM has failed to take route since its inception, the Planning Supervisor was a nonsense name driven by the Government not the industry, Clients and designers have never taken on their responsibilities in the correct manner that was indicated by the first issue of EU 54 and the subsequent regs, too many trades still have a worrying "Elf and Safety" attitude and use it as an excuse rather than a tool, how many times have you heard the expression "Its not me mate its Elf and Safety"

CDM should be a byword of "Could Do More" not "Cadburys Dairy Milk", but its good indication of the British work force's attitude.

But when you compare me with the 'electrician' discussed about in this thread, you could try & get your facts correct first.

I do take H&S quite seriously, as a sole trader, my life depends on it. I worked in various employments, and realise its importance. In one such role, we had to endure 2o minutes of a safety brief, before carrying out the training. It was stating the obvious over & over again, every time we went training.

One trainer reduced the safety brief to one sentence, 'Don't ---- about'. ;)

i just went on that citb website and tried to download it. it told me i did not have a device. then said go to google play store, whatever that is, then looped back to you don't have a device.

Well done and hats off to the OP for saving someone’s life and property.
I did the site managers course in 2016 in prep for a job installing 3 miles of under ground cabling. Turned up on site with my guys had the site induction handed over copies of all method statements, risk assessments. Then walked the trench routes with site manager and spent 1 hour arguing with him that his site didn’t conform to his obligation under CDM for the safety or well being of my guys on his site. Then went back to his office and went through my risk and method statements and asked him to provide me with his trench reports that my guys would be working in. Where are your shuttering rams? If you don’t have them why are your trenches not graded back to avoid collapse? Where are you safe ingress and egress points along trench runs? Why are your trenches not partially filled back to correct depth where main sewers run deeper than 1m? Where are your bump stops to restrict site traffic from encroaching within 2M of excavations? The list went on lol.
We ended up agreeing that whilst any person/s were working in the trenches all site traffic in that area had to stop immediately someone had to be watching from site platform vantage point with an air horn, before anyone entered the trenches a thorough inspection was to be carried out and the relevant forms filled out with a copy handed to supervisor in charge of my guys. My name was mud but I wouldn’t dream of putting my guys in a situation that I would not be happy to do myself. I would rather risk losing the job and financial payment than ever have to go to someone’s house and tell their loved ones there had been an accident that could have and should have been avoided and because it wasn’t managed correctly someone got injured or worse.

Well done, visual inspection = Hazard analysis, hazards identified = paper work starts, carry out risk assessment, risk = high prepare method statement, clearly not carried out by the site manager, would have been interesting to see what his last Safety inspection report said. You identified the most common risk that of trench collapse, normally always associated with encroaching traffic, more power to you for your diligence and respect of your work force.

Mike

Well done, visual inspection = Hazard analysis, hazards identified = paper work starts, carry out risk assessment, risk = high prepare method statement, clearly not carried out by the site manager, would have been interesting to see what his last Safety inspection report said. You identified the most common risk that of trench collapse, normally always associated with encroaching traffic, more power to you for your diligence and respect of your work force.

Mike

What about calling me a dork and getting your facts wrong; didn't get your assessments right there, did ya :D

Edit; although some will say you did.

Reply to Kevin please change careers before killing someone in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back