Discuss Led Downlights for celotex insulation in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Justyjust

DIY
Reaction score
I need some help locating suitable led downlights to be installed in rigid celotex, they are being installed in a flat roof but there is 70mm of insulation behind the plasterboard. Does anyone know Of any lights that can do directly into the insulation.

Thanks

Don’t think you will. Whilst a lot of down lights can be loosely covered with insulation, most will require an air gap either side, to allow ventilation of the fitting. Otherwise it will overheat and fail. If this is a new build or on a building notice, the LBC may take a dim view of cutting holes in insulation.

These are good, you only need enough space for the driver. Last time I used them the building contractor counter battened the roof joists to give me enough room for it to fit below the cellotex!
Other manufacturers are available and sizes but these ones have had no failures in the 2 years they have been installed!
Sy

These are good, you only need enough space for the driver. Last time I used them the building contractor counter battened the roof joists to give me enough room for it to fit below the cellotex!
Other manufacturers are available and sizes but these ones have had no failures in the 2 years they have been installed!
Sy
We had to counter batten in my lads extension, to keep the LBC happy, when putting down lights in a vaulted ceiling.

When looking for LED downlights suitable for installation in rigid Celotex insulation, there are a few key factors to consider.

First, you will want to look for downlights that are specifically designed for insulation contact (IC) ratings. IC-rated downlights are designed to be installed in direct contact with insulation without causing a fire hazard. These lights will typically have a thermal cutoff switch or other safety features to prevent overheating.

Second, you will want to look for downlights that are compatible with the thickness of your insulation. In your case, with 70mm of insulation, you will need to find downlights with a deep enough housing to accommodate the thickness of the insulation.

When looking for LED downlights suitable for installation in rigid Celotex insulation, there are a few key factors to consider.

First, you will want to look for downlights that are specifically designed for insulation contact (IC) ratings. IC-rated downlights are designed to be installed in direct contact with insulation without causing a fire hazard. These lights will typically have a thermal cutoff switch or other safety features to prevent overheating.

Second, you will want to look for downlights that are compatible with the thickness of your insulation. In your case, with 70mm of insulation, you will need to find downlights with a deep enough housing to accommodate the thickness of the insulation.
What do you mean accommodate the thickness of the insulation?

Don’t reply to gora111, it’s a bot🙂.

Besides which most led‘s do not generate enough heat generally to be the cause of fire, but enough to cause failure of said led. Bots don’t know that.

Generally, such insulation gets used on refurbishments or extensions. Wo betide you, if the BI notices!
Ive never known them to start pulling stuff apart ! Same for private BC inspectors .Once they get a "feel" you wont be doing something really stupid. They leave you alone !

Ive never known them to start pulling stuff apart ! Same for private BC inspectors .Once they get a "feel" you wont be doing something really stupid. They leave you alone !
The BI’s I’ve experienced, pre COViD, want to inspect various stages of build, which will include prior to plasterboard first fix.

Reply to Led Downlights for celotex insulation in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net