Discuss Lets see some examples of Bodge jobs you have seen the worse the better! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Here check these pics of our so called electricians work
If I had been there to supervise he would have gotten his arse kicked up the street until he was wearing it as a hat!

Spot the disasters:-

1) Used black cable cos it was all he had left in his van - no trunking or white cable to do the job properly And how did i know - cos he just chucked his empty reel into my plastics bin

2) Drilled through the double glazing and yip its now lost its vacuum seal

3) Checkout those leccie tails in the cupboard - not even recessed behind the backer board and not soldered or properly connected just scotblocked together i dont even think the tape is electrical - and the kid in our building puts his bike in that cupboard - those tails are live when the time clock switches on

4) Didnt even hoover up his drill mess

Attachments

• Hall_Cupboard_Electrical_Work (1).jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 228
  • Hall_Cupboard_Electrical_Work (2).jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 224
  • Hall_Cupboard_Electrical_Work (3).jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 216
  • Hall_Cupboard_Shit_Electrical_Works (5).jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 224
That is awful, leaving single Insulated cables wrapped in tape is breach EAWR.
The drilling through the window frame is just DS and something that I would expect a "sky engineer" to do. I take it this is someone the managing agents got in ?
If so report it to them with these pictures.

If he/she is registered with a Scheme you could also report it to them.

Is it the schemes fault though? They haven't seen or done the job.

Surely it's the customer who needs to realise it's terrible and then report it?

How do the schemes know?

(As a random bloke and not a sparky - I don't mean to be awkward when saying that, I'm genuinely asking - How do they know it's gone on? how can they react?)

and what are they going to do , they take the monies for the scam and they will tell the punter to get them back .
probably not alot but they are duty bound to sort it out. If the customer reports it to them, then someone gets a shock they would then hold some liability.

If it the schemes fault ?
Not really, but they are the ones whom seem to defining their members competency and offer some guarantee that their members comply with the EAWR, BS7671 and building control
[automerge]1576362253[/automerge]
I agree with Buzz though most likely it's just a DIYer.

Is it the schemes fault though? They haven't seen or done the job.

Surely it's the customer who needs to realise it's terrible and then report it?

How do the schemes know?

(As a random bloke and not a sparky - I don't mean to be awkward when saying that, I'm genuinely asking - How do they know it's gone on? how can they react?)
That’s the trouble dan, they can ring the scheme assuming they know which one.......the only recourse the scheme has is to throw a paying member out......

I guess you live in a flat (block of?) The landlord is responsible for this work imo. I recently started work for a landlord. Went to change some broken sockets that was all! In the process standard checks revealed a live on the lighting cpc throughout the flat. I tried to track down the fault but this was not the usual loop in loop out scenario. It was no doubt JBs spidering out all over to the lights in very random manners. The landlord would not (understandably) allow me into the flat above to investigate the JBs. So it all came down to he wanted me to rewire it in conduit on the ceiling and walls. I visualised the outcome of what that would look like. Bearing in mind there were recessed lights throughout. And said I cannot do this work as it would look awful you need to rewire it properly. He said "So, you are going to leave me in the S**t then" I said yes (no actually the problem already existed) envisaging a load of crap jobs like these doing crap work which I could not put my name to. No doubt he got a man from the pub who did what he wanted. But some landlords not all, are like that, cheap and nasty, anything to get the rent they just do not care. I suspect you may know such a landlord. And if you want bad work ---- there is a thread on here with thousands of examples and worse of such abysmal electrical work. So much for the CPS schemes eh?

We have a much more established DTP - Dodgy Trade Pics, or Damage To Property - thread here;

I love botch as much as the next guy, gives me an idea how NOT to undertake our craft, but keep things tidy, we ain't plumbers or plasterers ??

We have a much more established DTP - Dodgy Trade Pics, or Damage To Property - thread here;

I love botch as much as the next guy, gives me an idea how NOT to undertake our craft, but keep things tidy, we ain't plumbers or plasterers ??

Yeah i noticed it just after i posted this lol
Just wanted to get some opinions on this work before i approach the residents but it doesnt matter they never listen to me!

Its self factored but the two old guys who have been bodging ti from the start wont relinquish and let someone who knows how to do it.

I have already proven I can do it when i arranged some guys to come in and rebuild our chimney stack invoices, 3 quotes, supervised the work ,before and after photos etc

That last job no quotes, no notification it was even being done , no invoices, no supervision and funny the electrician (i use the term loosely) never replied when the old guy downstairs tried to get him back - the thing that makes me mad is that he had already been in and muffed the light in the main hallway by installing a cheap fitting and putting in an overwattage bulb which melted the housing and eventually ended up needing replaced (not once but twice) and they still got him back in!

Needless to say i never paid for any of the bodge jobs so i am persona non grata around here - they just see me as the complainer.

And get this - i have helped every single person in this block from getting them a new laptop by using my company to write off their old one, fixing their pc's and printers, fixing their cars, sorting out their tv aerials, sorting out other bodge jobs like the timer in the hall cupboard and many many more - all of which i did for FREE!!!

And every single one of them has stabbed me in the back and constantly talk about me in a negative manner - Yip I am indeed a mug but i will continue to do jobs to help out as I want to look after my flat and this block and well my dad always taught me to turn the other cheek and do good when others do bad!

Trust NO 1 - Its a good motto to standby these days .... sadly!!!
Not the way my dad and mum brought me up to believe but sadly life has ground me down and reality has kicked my butt!

Want another laugh at some more bodge work
Check this water tank on the roof - plastic fitted over the old wooden housing and it has warped and will need done again.

Attachments

• Marcus_water_tank (14).jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 184
  • Marcus_water_tank (15).jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 177
  • Marcus_water_tank (17).jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 168
  • Water_tank (6).jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 174
When was that rooftop water tank last inspected / tested / cleaned?

Well i was up a few months ago i plan to do a drain and wetvac but I believe 1963.

The problem is the neighbours we dont get on and they are as tivght as a gnarts chuff so its hard to get any work done!

Here check the tanks - lovely - A good reason why you should never drink from the cold water taps in the bathroom lol
[automerge]1576411569[/automerge]
When was that rooftop water tank last inspected / tested / cleaned?

Thats the tankhouse on the other side - me and a good builder i iknow did our side and well what can i say - polish polish!

Attachments

• Tankhouse_Pipes_20181219_13_48_35_Pro (4).jpg
    76 KB · Views: 124
  • Tankhouse_Pipes_20181219_13_48_35_Pro (6).jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 130
  • Tankhouse_Pipes_20181219_13_48_35_Pro (7).jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 120
  • New_tankhousing (2).jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 117
  • New_tankhousing.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 114
Please tell me that that tank is no longer in use.

Been in use since 1963.

And yes that overflow pipe in the centre is covered in what looks like congealed fat and who knows what else and both tanks actualyl have an old wooden cover on em!

There also used to be a heater in that tankhouse peresumably to keep the water from freezing in winter but its burned out now in both tankhouses - health and safety in the 60's eh lol

We currently have issues with the cold water blocking - not flush in the cistern and cold taps not working - I have backflushed it every time there is a blockage but i need to get up there and empty them , wetvac and sort it out as there are two tanks - one on the left feeds the boilers and the one on the right feeds the cold water taps in the bathrooms for all the flats.

Pretty gross eh - not looking forward to putting my arm in either one!

Attachments

• Tankhouse_Pipes_Layout (4).jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 101
  • Tankhouse_Pipes_Layout (7).jpg
    92 KB · Views: 102

Reply to Lets see some examples of Bodge jobs you have seen the worse the better! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock