Discuss Lights - Why is the my supply switch controlling my new one? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't cut into anything before understanding EXACTLY what it is. Preferably don't cut into anything full stop!
Please deal with this in an analytical manner, which you should be capable of if testing s/w professionally.

You need to understand what cable does what and goes where in your existing wiring, map out what needs to be done, and test the validity of your assumptions (eg using a meter) before actually connecting anything.
Don't just try things out to see if they work. Electrics should be done with test equipment and logic.

I'm leaving this, hoping you either get someone in to help/do it, or you spend a lot more time reading up, investigating, testing, using logic and gaining certainty about your existing wiring before trying to connect anything up.
thanks for your help, amazed you hung on so long actually :) Really appreciated it.

If you inadvertently shorted neutral to earth that can trip the RCD, even with that circuit's MCB off,
That is 'normal behaviour' 🙂
It can't be a 32amp supply. The light over the sink goes off when I turn off the 6amp RCB (see pics below). So it must be a 6amp junction box. Which means that there is something else causing the intermittent behaviour I experienced when trying the kitchen lights. This can only be wiring related, either at the junction box or the light switch.

Picture #1 = 6 amp fuse in OFF position
Picture #1 = Light switch in ON position
Picture #3 = Single spot not ON

I'm going to test tomorrow at the junction box pictured below using my multireader, with the power on/off at this 6 amp fuse. I'll test against E/L N/L. I guess theres another test with the 32amp on/off too just to completely discount it.

If testing is positive for 6amp I'lll move on to the wiring at the junction box, then if still experiencing issues will rewire the 3 way lighting as to a different format AC Power showed me on DIY Forums.

If this doesn't solve it then either get the pro's in or go at the CU.

Seems like a logical approach... let me know if you think otherwise.

1667581072734.png

1667581143528.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Lights - Why is the my supply switch controlling my new one? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net