Discuss Napit, NICEIC, Elecsa? in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

And furthermore...In my opinion on a legal level the contracts formed with the certifying bodies are contracts made under duress and hold no validity whatsoever. If you are not part of a cps and undertake work you may be fined and even imprisoned, under those circumstances who would NOT sign up and fork over the blood money demanded. That is a contract made under duress and if I had the energy I would be campaigning to bring these people to court and have them pilloried before the public in stocks with rotten eggs and vegetables thrown at them. In the real world where I reside none of these schemes actually make a jot of difference to poor work I have encountered since 1974 to date.

Blame John Prescott who was DPM at the timeand presided over the whole sorry mess.
Why, oh why didn't they have just one scheme - like CORGI/GasSafe - then everybody would know where they were.

They probably did not want to, or couldn't because NICEIC would have been the only choice to be that organisation, and that would have been unfair competition/or something to do with a monopoly.

PS Why is there only one monopolies commission:D

When I started the only card you get was the JIB grading card which the guy I worked for got for me. It did not mean a thing to me I had no idea what the card meant, never carried it or flashed it (oops) have no idea where it went from the time I was handed it. Schemes? no such thing. I say if you have your exams and experience you are an electrician end of. Talk about gilding a lily!

My disagree with your post was absolutely nothing personal. It was really more a comment on the fact that I have not met anyone in forty or more years who has asked about NIC or even has the faintest clue of what any of these schemes are about. I do try to explain to customers, their eyes glaze over and they go all vague and start wandering off in a trance. In my experience despite all the hype most people haven't a clue about schemes and really are not interested. It is all a storm in the tea-cup of electricians alone. Everyone else in the world could not give a flying feck, its only us that are obsessed with it oh yeh and the carpetbaggers pickpocketing our hard earned alongside all the other buzzards circling.
I didn't think it was personal....but we are fairly often asked about NICEIC or informed we are working because of NICEIC membership, that is a fact. I think you are wrong in saying that nobody outside of the trade is aware of the NICEIC, they are probably not aware of Stroma though . Other than that I agree entirely with what you say!
All schemes are parasites, NICEIC not least.

often asked about NICEIC
Good I'm glad you didn't take it personal like. I would venture to suggest that it is mostly social housing providers principally, that ask for NIC and of course in my opinion even if they accepted Stroma I would not work in that area even if they paid me triple, hence I rarely encounter the breed of errrmm client I suppose you might call them. I usually deal with ordinary people who just want a job done, commercially and domestic (not so much) I stand by the fact that nobody has asked me about any scheme in forty-five years though.

My mate works as a kitchen fitter, he fits for Homebase at times, and they require him to use an NICEIC electrician.
So for him to retain the services of one he has then to use them for all his jobs. Even though he may only fit 1 kitchen a month or less sometimes.

I know that B&Q changed their policy in the last few years, now using only NIC electricians for kitchen refurbs'. Had one of their kitchen fitter sub contractors ring me, asking if I was with NIC. Luckily I said no, Elecsa!

because it dumbs the whole notifible works thing down.
The third party part is getting electricians doing the job of building control inspectors as they are so overwhelmed all you are doing is allowing electricians inspecting at each stage or that's how it should be being done .Is there any forum members out there who undertake third party?.

I think collectively the above comments regards larger concerns insisting on NIC are in fact proof of my point about the ignorance of the CPS problem. Nobody has heard or will countenance anyone but NIC, why? Because they are as ignorant of what it is all about as the average householder. They hear the buzzword NIC and everyone jumps on the bandwagon. These are the people who when God said "Brains" thought he said trains and took the first one out. This monopoly needs to be broken anyone a member of any scheme should have the same opportunities to tender as any NIC member we are equal whatever scheme. I mean dammit, you can't even join ECA if you're not NIC. That is a monopoly! I vote you all leave NIC now! This will force change so that as a Stroma member I can take your jobs, ok chaps?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think collectively the above comments regards larger concerns insisting on NIC are in fact proof of my point about the ignorance of the CPS problem. Nobody has heard or will countenance anyone but NIC, why? Because they are as ignorant of what it is all about as the average householder. They hear the buzzword NIC and everyone jumps on the bandwagon. These are the people who when God said "Brains" thought he said trains and took the first one out. This monopoly needs to be broken anyone a member of any scheme should have the same opportunities to tender as any NIC member we are equal whatever scheme. I mean dammit, you can't even join ECA if you're not NIC. That is a monopoly! I vote you all leave NIC now! This will force change so that as a Stroma member I can take your jobs, ok chaps?
Yes you can join without being a member of the NIC. Certsure bailed the ECA out and as it stands they actually cost certsure every year.

The third party part is getting electricians doing the job of building control inspectors as they are so overwhelmed all you are doing is allowing electricians inspecting at each stage or that's how it should be being done .Is there any forum members out there who undertake third party?.

I just wonder if they are getting 'overwhelmed' or as I suspect nobody gives a Scooby on what is actually being altered, added or new being installed, unless it goes horribly wrong, which is if it does is only mentionable or publishable if someone gets hurt or there's a prosecutable case easily achieved case to answer?

NICEIC and Elecsa are the same company, Certsure. This is the premier organisation. Any contractor who values their name will only use this organisation. Think John Lewis and Del Boy. Whatever your fees are they go through your books, tax allowance.

NICEIC and Elecsa are the same company, Certsure. This is the premier organisation. Any contractor who values their name will only use this organisation. Think John Lewis and Del Boy. Whatever your fees are they go through your books, tax allowance.
So Certsure is not a scam then?

NICEIC and Elecsa are the same company, Certsure. This is the premier organisation. Any contractor who values their name will only use this organisation

Putting to one side the approved contractor scheme for a moment,if you are referring to their domestic installer scheme then you have to be joking big time

In the domestic sector any particular scam name is almost irrelevant

I'm in Elecsa approved contractor scheme, which if I was with NICEIC, this would be a domestic installer, I suspect.

Have to say, I've never been asked to provide my scheme credentials by my customers. Only been asked a few times 'if I can sign things off'.

I would agree with Des, in the domestic sector, the public have very little knowledge of schemes.

Reply to Napit, NICEIC, Elecsa? in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net