Discuss New Guy forgot the intro in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Thanks for the kind words Telectrix.

I'll be keeping my regs with me wherever I go.

I believe if you're going to do the job do it properly or don't do it at all and I want to be more than good at my job (without the ego) . I hope I can pass this trade onto my son or daughter. So Corner cutting is prohibited in my book.

Thanks again for the kind words and advice.

I sincerely mean it I am grateful to all of you. I have been feeling down since I left my last boss and you guys have lift my spirits. Love & respect to all of u

Welcome...
The regs and guides are on-line. I managed to get them on my phone yesterday although I don't think it's supported.

Nice one Zap, gonna check them out. The file must be huge.

I'm kinda old school I like paper, and gardening I'll plant trees to make up for the paper.

But still a good backup having it on your phone.

What I like about them is the search capability. You enter a search term and it'll quickly presents a list of links/answers and the books that they appear in. Click on the most relevant link and whoosh there it is!
Incidentally, I'm yet to find a search feature on the off-line content. However, I can use the on-line version provided I've got a data signal.

Going forward
My plan of action is
1. Get Public liability insurance (£2m at least)
2. Buy Megger MFT1720 or MFT1730 and Join Stroma
3. Work as electrician and self cert.
4. Save money
5. Do 2365 level 3
6. Do NVQ Level 3
7. Get JIB card
8. Do 2394/5
9. Work as Electrician, tester and inspector.

Does this sound right? Or is this overkill or not enough?

Can anyone recommend anywhere (reputable) near Manchester, where I can do 2365 level 3?

Last edited:
1 and 2 are OK if you have the money.
You are somewhat short on training for number 3 but your approach should cover most of the shortfall and generally better than many.
Number 4 will be hard to do for some time as the business grows!
5-8 sound like a reasonable plan, depending on why you need the JIB card it may be cheaper to wait until you have done 2394/5 and so get an approved card.
9 may be advisable to get professional indemnity insurance as you will be giving your professional opinion.

It will take time and plans rarely go according to plan but it is best to at least know where the original rails are before you go off them.:smile5:

Thanks Richard.
You say I'm short on training for number 3, is there anything you would recommend I need to do?

Does it mean I can't work until I get this additional training?

I was under the impression I need no 2 to inform authorities of works I've carried out. I thought notifying was a legal requirement?

I will be doing 5,6 and 8 going forward.

To be honest I wanted the JIB card as a badge of honour to prove my level of competence (to myself I'm not an ego type) and also if all fails I can use it to work for a big company.

I will definitely invest in insurance when I get to number 9. Not yet ill give it a year or so before I go for number 9.

Last edited:
Notification is a legal requirement, and scheme registration is the cheapest way to go about it. I was merely saying the you need to be able to pay for all this and make sure you have enough money.
You can start work with your level of training and there are many who start work with much less training and since you have a good approach you should be OK, do not try and tackle anything you are not comfortable with. As you are progressing your training this is all you need to do.
It will take some time to complete the NVQ3 so no rush for things after that.

Reply to New Guy forgot the intro in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net