Discuss New Guy forgot the intro in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

PiousJim

Hi guys & gals.

This is my second post I should have done this first, sorry and here goes.

I was born in Glasgow, I'm aged 34, living in Manchester with my wife and 2 children. I always loved working with my hands and due to bad guidance and choices as a kid I never pursued what I was good at and enjoyed. However in 2011, after a few tough years at college (become a dad for the second time) I successfully complete and passed the 2330 & 17th Edititon.

Once completed the above course, and still with the fear of not earning and feeding my young family I continued to work in a non construction industry (technical support for a computer company). I did loads of work in the evening, weekend and holidays doing new installs, additions to existing installs and full rewires.

Things didn't work out at work so in the begining of 2014 I gladly handed in my notice and decided I should persue the career I enjoy. I am very critical of myself and believe if it's not high standard then it's not standard (if that makes any sence).

I did work for several people who promised to help me with experience and help me build on my knowledge. As I would expect I would be working for peanuts and expected to do all the work.

To be honest I was grateful for the oppertunity and waking up in the morning excited to go to work was a great feeling that it felt was worth sacraficing the money.

I was always promised the low pay is only for the trial period 3 to 6 months, depending on who was employing me.

My last experience was no different to the others, things would always start good, the boss would always say I like your work don't worry I will be putting up your wages soon, etc, until eventually you realise your only being used.

Even then I was OK as long as they helped me to progress, until I would be told we can't take photos, customers won't like it, or you don't need an NVQ, etc.

Then they would employ another person, my pay rise and promises would stop, work ethics would go out the window (Profit over everything), my boss start humiliating me in front of other workers (friends of his).

So I had to make the disicion to go at it on my own. Took out a loan to buy a van, ladders, tools etc.

I am currently trying to raise the money to join Napit, Niceic or any others (not yet decided on which one).

The fella at Napit did mentioned they will be doing the NVQ LEVEL 3 which I will sign up for (so might sign up with them to self cert) .

Thank you for taking the time to read this thread. Any advice for this new start would be greatly appreciated.

Pious Jim

Welcome to the forum.
Good luck with your new venture.
If you are short of money and looking to get registered on self certification then Stroma is the cheapest option at the moment.
It is generally considered that the Napit courses are only applicable to napit, so it is worth checking the true validity of of this NVQ3 to make sure it is a worthwhile qualification and not just the minimum napit will accept.

Make sure you have all the required legal cover (public liability insurance) and that you have informed HMRC.

Get your name out there and get the jobs coming in (and the money!)

Thanks for the reply Richard. I need to look into Storma.

Registered Self - employed with hmrc.

I believe Napit are trying to get a feel for potential numbers, they say they will inform me if it's going ahead.

For insurance I was thinking of trade direct insurance as the where quite reasonable.

Welcome to the forum Jim. Dose your van insurance company also do PLI? They normally give a discount, worth giving them a call.

Has anyone been to any Amendment 3 seminars? Would you recommendations them or is a small course better?
I'm not to sure what's the best way to get updated.

Hi guys just wanted to update you all.

Stroma are sending me out info and forms. Going to go with them.

Van insurance company can't beat trade direct insurance for Public liability.

Registered for Elex show.

I'm feeling positive thanks to you both (Richard and Paul), I am very grateful to you both.

Before joining the electrician forums there hasen't been many who would or could help.

I hope I get the oppertunity to repay you both.

Thanks again guys

Hi guys just wanted to update you all.

Stroma are sending me out info and forms. Going to go with them.

Van insurance company can't beat trade direct insurance for Public liability.

Registered for Elex show.

I'm feeling positive thanks to you both (Richard and Paul), I am very grateful to you both.

Before joining the electrician forums there hasen't been many who would or could help.

I hope I get the oppertunity to repay you both.

Thanks again guys

just get out there. do a good job to the regs. don't cut corners. earn loads of moola. that's repayment for anyone here.

Thanks for the kind words Telectrix.

I'll be keeping my regs with me wherever I go.

I believe if you're going to do the job do it properly or don't do it at all and I want to be more than good at my job (without the ego) . I hope I can pass this trade onto my son or daughter. So Corner cutting is prohibited in my book.

Thanks again for the kind words and advice.

I sincerely mean it I am grateful to all of you. I have been feeling down since I left my last boss and you guys have lift my spirits. Love & respect to all of u

Hi Shanky. When we complete level 2 the college was trying to sign us up for level 3. At the time we were not happy with the service from the college (it felt like they just took our money and forgot about us). Don't get me wrong first year was great but second year they changed the teachers.

Anyway it felt like we were just getting a sales pitch. So a few of us rang around and asked other tutors. We were told we didn't need level 3 unless we were planning to join a construction firm, and that level 3 was regarding of level 2. Someone had friends on level 3 who was telling us it was a want of time. Some of the guys called Napit who said something similar. At the time we didn't know who to call or who to ask, who was being genuine and not.

To be honest I'm happy to pay and go through the graft for something that will contribute towards my progression. I've just found every body wants money from you because "you need to have this" only to find out you don't or it doesn't meet the level you would expect.

I am trying to organise my NVQ in between.

Hi Shanky. When we complete level 2 the college was trying to sign us up for level 3. At the time we were not happy with the service from the college (it felt like they just took our money and forgot about us). Don't get me wrong first year was great but second year they changed the teachers.

Anyway it felt like we were just getting a sales pitch. So a few of us rang around and asked other tutors. We were told we didn't need level 3 unless we were planning to join a construction firm, and that level 3 was regarding of level 2. Someone had friends on level 3 who was telling us it was a want of time. Some of the guys called Napit who said something similar. At the time we didn't know who to call or who to ask, who was being genuine and not.

To be honest I'm happy to pay and go through the graft for something that will contribute towards my progression. I've just found every body wants money from you because "you need to have this" only to find out you don't or it doesn't meet the level you would expect.

I am trying to organise my NVQ in between.
to be honest if you do the level3 you wont have to do that part when you do the nvq.

if you dont do it before you will have to do the level3 under the 2357 course code before they will let you start the logbook

Ah I'm lost again lol. Just been digging around, I might have the wrong end of the stick.

I think I need level 3 to do the NVQ according to

https://www.ableskills.co.uk/electrical-courses/nvq-level-3-electrical-qualification/

Do I need to do this before I can trade? The reason I ask, I'm try to sell my car (for few weeks) I should get enough to pay Stroma, PLI and a megger MFT1720.

I need to raise the cash for the level 3 and the NVQ.

Do you think I should sign up for Stroma then go for level 3 then 2357?

Ah I'm lost again lol. Just been digging around, I might have the wrong end of the stick.

I think I need level 3 to do the NVQ according to

https://www.ableskills.co.uk/electrical-courses/nvq-level-3-electrical-qualification/

Do I need to do this before I can trade? The reason I ask, I'm try to sell my car (for few weeks) I should get enough to pay Stroma, PLI and a megger MFT1720.

I need to raise the cash for the level 3 and the NVQ.

Do you think I should sign up for Stroma then go for level 3 then 2357?
no, don't buy the tester yet it will be a waste of time, dont forget it will need calibrating yearly etc.

at the moment you haven't got any qualifications to prove testing competency, a lot of insurers are asking for 2391/2392/2394/2395 etc so i dont think they would accept a level2 quailfication.

you can test your own work but i doubt they would let you test others work

Ah okay that's fine i only want to test my own work in the mean time.

I don't want to sell my Services as a tester for a couple of years, so I would have time to save up.

I think I'll get my PLI then join Storma, will I not need the megger for my own work and calibrating certification is prerequsite for stroma.

Then I should raise the cash to do 2330 level 3 then 2357 nvq

Then (in a couple of years) one of the following 2391 / 2 / 4 or 5.

In your opinion do you think this is the best way (not looking for the cheapest, I want) to become high standard?

Thanks Paul.

My plan of action.
1. Get Public liability insurance (2m at least)
2. Join Stroma
3. Work as electrician and self cert.
4. Save money
5. Do 2365 level 3
6. Do NVQ Level 3
7. Get JIB card
8. Do 2394/5
9. Work as Electrician, tester and inspector.

I'll check with the college I attended if there do the 2365 level 3.

Can anyone recommend anywhere else (reputable) near Manchester, as a back up?

Reply to New Guy forgot the intro in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net