NICEIC Certification Scheme Nic assessment

Discuss Nic assessment in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all
I have my nic-eic assessment Thursday I think I’m all prepared but just wondering from your past experiences what I could expect.
It’s Domestic Installer I’m doing.
Thanks in advance.

Have all the required documents to hand, ready for inspection.

Have a backup job to inspect, if there is any doubt about getting access to the planned job. BUT maybe don't mention it unless needed, as I did once find the assessor suggesting we could visit an extra job if I happened to have any backup ones!

Have all the required documents to hand, ready for inspection.

Have a backup job to inspect, if there is any doubt about getting access to the planned job. BUT maybe don't mention it unless needed, as I did once find the assessor suggesting we could visit an extra job if I happened to have any backup ones!

Hi
Great thank you for you reply, yea I’ve got all my paperwork, insurance, Calib certs, etc etc and also Eic for the job I’m showing him.
Just wondered what he’ll want me to show him.
With regards to safe isolation my padlock is quite large will he expect me to padlock up before removing from panel of CU or will he be happy if I don’t it once I’ve removed front panel and before anything else?

Re isolation & padlocks, I guess it depends a bit on the type of site.

I typically show a consumer unit in an occupied property, and am usually asked to just isolate one circuit that won't cause any disruption and will be easy to test (a cooker circuit is common, though last time it was a socket RFC). Generally no padlocking required as the testing is either at the CU or close by. If appropriate, I would offer to lock the circuit off, but typically told not it's not needed (I can't actually recall being told to do in recent years).

Re isolation & padlocks, I guess it depends a bit on the type of site.

I typically show a consumer unit in an occupied property, and am usually asked to just isolate one circuit that won't cause any disruption and will be easy to test (a cooker circuit is common, though last time it was a socket RFC). Generally no padlocking required as the testing is either at the CU or close by. If appropriate, I would offer to lock the circuit off, but typically told not it's not needed (I can't actually recall being told to do in recent years).

hi
Ok great thanks! The job I’m takin him to is a full house refurb so rewire, Cu etc. It’s currently unoccupied so it won’t matter about padlocking but I did my 18th a short while ago and it was thru the nic and the tutor was also an inspector and he said he wants you to “lock off” that’s why I wondered.

Have you verified the check list, they have on their web site. Easy to miss items required, like H&S document, complaints procedure etc.

Have you verified the check list, they have on their web site. Easy to miss items required, like H&S document, complaints procedure etc.
Hi
Yes I’ve definelty got all the required paperwork in place I was more wondering about what he’ll ask me to do on site testing wise, and also how long we are on site for. That kind of thing.

I was with Elecsa. Whole process was about two to three hours. They have an iPad with a check list of things they have to ask you.

Most of the time is spent in the ‘office’, checking paperwork, mft, voltage detector etc. Asking questions, about work, regs. It’s done in a relaxed way. If you don’t know the answer, they talk about it. Not done to catch you out.

Rewire will be a good one to start off with, and showcase your work. As others have said, they’ll ask you to show safe isolation, then go through some of the dead tests, then some live tests. Not all, but you should be able to tell them the series of tests in their proper order. Again don’t worry if you make a mistake. They know it’s being done under a classroom assessment. Normally something list disruptive to the installation, like an RFC or cooker circuit.

Good luck.

I was with Elecsa. Whole process was about two to three hours. They have an iPad with a check list of things they have to ask you.

Most of the time is spent in the ‘office’, checking paperwork, mft, voltage detector etc. Asking questions, about work, regs. It’s done in a relaxed way. If you don’t know the answer, they talk about it. Not done to catch you out.

Rewire will be a good one to start off with, and showcase your work. As others have said, they’ll ask you to show safe isolation, then go through some of the dead tests, then some live tests. Not all, but you should be able to tell them the series of tests in their proper order. Again don’t worry if you make a mistake. They know it’s being done under a classroom assessment. Normally something list disruptive to the installation, like an RFC or cooker circuit.

Good luck.
Great thanks mate, that’s made me feel a bit more relaxed. Let’s hope I don’t cock it up on Thursday ?

Asking questions is always a good things as well. If you're not sure on something such as earthing systems for outbuildings ask away, you're paying for their time so gets your moneys worth out of them.

Asking questions is always a good things as well. If you're not sure on something such as earthing systems for outbuildings ask away, you're paying for their time so gets your moneys worth out of them.
Ok will do thank you so much for replying. ill be happy to pass to be honest that’s good enough for me.
I think I’ll be fine but I’m worried incase I suddenly forget everything.
Is the answer to your question, if it can’t be exported for any reason (pme) then take live and neutral and install an Earth rod nearby outbuilding?

Ok will do thank you so much for replying. ill be happy to pass to be honest that’s good enough for me.
I think I’ll be fine but I’m worried incase I suddenly forget everything.
Is the answer to your question, if it can’t be exported for any reason (pme) then take live and neutral and install an Earth rod nearby outbuilding?
The answer to that would be specific to the installation, presence of services that need bonding etc. But that was just an example question.

You pay a lot of money for their time to assess you, but pick the assessors brain on anything you're unsure of, they are very knowledgeable and willing to share it with you.

If you're not sure of an answer you are allowed to refer to your books, getting a couple wrong won't fail you, even plumbers can get through this assessment... ?

I don't recall ever being required to lock off for a domestic installer assessment, I did do it on the last approved contractor assessment though.

My advice is to have all of the paperwork gathered together ready to go for when they arrive, with me they've always commented on how nice it is to have it all there ready and not have to wait while someone searches for their insurance certificate etc. It will get you off to a much better start and put them in a better mood.

Be confident, don't be scared of answering their questions wrong, it's not an exam and you dont fail for giving a wrong answer, (unless you tell them you lick the busbar to see if its isolated)

I passed today! Hurray! Thanks for all your help chaps.
Didn’t get off to the best start I made him tea and biscuits but he was lactose and gluten intolerant ??????‍♂️ all went ok, lots of tricky questions, where can you safely drill in joists and how deep can wall chases be, RCD times, what if main bonding isn’t sufficient and customer won’t pay for upgrade etc etc, and he seem to get me to perform a lot of tests too but I passed all ok with only one small minor. (I had cut too much grey from the tails about half an inch) I’m happy with that tho. ??

Where had you removed the grey sheath from on your tails? Inside the consumer unit at the main switch or outside of the enclosure?
I took about an inch an half off to identify the colours (brown and blue) from where tails leave the new isolator installed by energy supplier(British Gas) he said I took too much off.
[automerge]1577989867[/automerge]
I took about an inch an half off to identify the colours (brown and blue) from where tails leave the new isolator installed by energy supplier(British Gas) he said I took too much off.

Attachments

• 3EA52729-E3CC-4E0B-9307-7AB776EE4A6E.png
    778.1 KB · Views: 26

Reply to Nic assessment in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net