Discuss PATting touch lights in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
One of my jobs is to PAT electrical goods for a local charity. Recently we have
been given some touch lights. On all of these, the switch interrupts Neutral
only and Live is on all the time. Is this normal or should I condemn these lights?
Thank you, Mark

TL;DR
Touch lights: switch interrupts neutral only.
One of my jobs is to PAT electrical goods for a local charity. Recently we have
been given some touch lights. On all of these, the switch interrupts Neutral
only and Live is on all the time. Is this normal or should I condemn these lights?
Thank you, Mark
Us this by design, or has the lamp been connected correctly, L/N reversed?

Is this a necessary part of the way these things work? Without an electrical field around them when they are off, how would they detect that you want to switch them on?

I have re-checked. Polarity is correct at plug. Resistance from plug pin -- lamp socket pin:
live < 1 ohm, neutral > 2 MO. When plugged in with no bulb, the light pin is live.
Is it correct polarity at the socket outlet though?

The apparent reversed polarity has been shown up by the PAT tester, not by detecting a voltage on the lampholder when it's switched off.
The lamp would argumentably be safer if plugged into a socket was incorrectly wired.

My Ikea 3 step does have neutral to lamp holder continuity but happily works with polarity reversed . The 220V activate potential must be capacitivly derived .
..But Wired for neutral continuity , the activation surface shows Live to a volt stick , and does give a tingle !
(this is tech at its least clever)

Is this a necessary part of the way these things work? Without an electrical field around them when they are off, how would they detect that you want to switch them on?
Thank you for your reply. What I think should happen is: the base of the light should be energised at low voltage or via a large
resistor. When you touch it, a sub-lethal (I hope) current flows which the switch detects. (I am not going to try with wet hands.)
But I dont think the light pin should be live with < 1 ohm between it & the plug pin.

Thank you for your replies. Polarity at socket was correct last time I tried, I will re-check. (We have had a new meter fitted ---
not by me). I dont think the COP says that PAs must be safe if plugged into a wrongly-wired socket.

Meanwhile, I have decided that these lights are definitely not safe.

Reply to PATting touch lights in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock