Discuss Private Jobs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

In the process of doing this myself, in theory any notifiable work needs to be signed off by building control or you must be a member of a Competent Persons scheme (NAPIT, elecsa, NIC etc). As far as I'm aware, as far as the Competent Person scheme states that the person certifying the work must be the person that did the job - but I know some scheme registered sparks that will sign 3rd party jobs off for about £150. Having the Part P qualification means nothing really unless you're a member of a scheme, it just demonstrates you know your way round the building regs.

It's not cheap or easy. I've gone with NAPIT as they seem to be less hassle than the others - they only need to see one job (NIC need to see 2 which can be difficult), that was £618 with the £40 fast track assesment included, about £80 for public liability (can go up to nearer £300 if you intend to do 3rd party inspection work like periodics etc as you will also need professional indemnity insurance), £60-£90 for meter calibration, about £100 for current 17th Edition regs books. They then need 2 references, copies of all qualifications, calibration certs, insurance certs, regs books, copies of Guidance Notes and a major works job to assess.

Worth doing if you think you'll have the volume of work to justify it, but if not it's a lot of money and hassle.

Good luck.

Another thing that annoys me while working through the company is when customers ask "have you got Part P". They've obviously read about it in the paper and heard it on the news and think this is all you need. When I say I've been doing it 18yrs now, fully timed served and hold this, this and that, they don't know what I'm on about.
I'd be a little concerned if someone was re wiring my house and the only qualification they did have was Part P.
I think everyone gets that to a certain degree -
"What qualifications have you got?"
"Well I've got 2330, 2382, 2391..."
"That's just numbers to me - what ACTUAL QUALIFICATIONS have you got?"
I suppose that's where it's handy to have a gold card. People seem to understand 'gold'.

I think everyone gets that to a certain degree -
"What qualifications have you got?"
"Well I've got 2330, 2382, 2391..."
"That's just numbers to me - what ACTUAL QUALIFICATIONS have you got?"
I suppose that's where it's handy to have a gold card. People seem to understand 'gold'.

Yeah, tell Mr & Mrs Average householder you have a gold card and I bet they'd look at you as queer as if you said you were 'Part P'. Jo Public just don't understand all these qualifications, half the readers of this forum don't either

Can't believe someone of your experience in the trade is asking.

Most others just get on with it.

Did have one call last week though asking if I could sign of the electrical work done 3 years ago at a house. Now selling the house and electrical certs and Part P certs were asked for.

Fortunately we don't have Part P here north of Hadrian's Wall. But you've been given good advice about PL insurance (and indemnity insurance if you are doing EICRs). You don't have to be a member of a scheme for your certs to be 100% acceptable, but here if you want to do work which is subject to Building Warrant, you either have to be a scheme member or pre-notify for the Council to arrange certification (the former is by far the best route financially if you are going to be doing just a few warrant jobs).

As has been said, HMRC are now much more proactive with small traders and cash in hand (and football clubs!), so in my view better to declare income and expenses than face a tax investigation.

Regards
It depends on your area I think, some councils need you to be a certifier of construction.
Some use the risk assessment method on the Scottish government website.

Glad to see this forum allows you discuss avoiding breaking the law in avoiding paying tax and not notifying in part p work. But use swear words like, **** **** **** and you get banned for it.

Oh sorry should I put s hit f uck and c unt

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't believe someone of your experience in the trade is asking.

Most others just get on with it.

Did have one call last week though asking if I could sign of the electrical work done 3 years ago at a house. Now selling the house and electrical certs and Part P certs were asked for.

And you declined the offer of work of course. :rolleyes::vanish:

Yeah, tell Mr & Mrs Average householder you have a gold card and I bet they'd look at you as queer as if you said you were 'Part P'. Jo Public just don't understand all these qualifications, half the readers of this forum don't either
I disagree. I think if you could show that you're a 'gold electrician' they'd assume it's better than bronze or silver so you must be the best electrician they can get.

Part P is the lowest of the lowest of all electrical qualifications. Yes the NIC EIC- ELECSA- NAPIT like it. Easy money for them. I agree gold card removes 5 week wonders. That should be the aim of government. Leave us professionals alone, if we have a gold card we have been professionally assests. Why have a man in a suit tell you - yes you can wire a domestic property? Just money grabbing ideas for a few. The above!!!! Let the profession decide on safety and policy, not Tony Blair. By the way i vote UKIP to remove foreign workers cutting my wages in half. If you agree send thanks. Best wishes all you fellow sparks. gdr7671

So by what you guys are saying, if I wanted to add a new shower circuit in my own house I'd have to get someone in?
Maybe I could get the company I work for round to quote? I'd pay them £500 then maybe Id get the job of doing it anyway and I'd get paid a few hours wages back out of it...

If you have a good relationship with your company wont they let you cert and notify the jobs in your own home through them?.....I added a shower to my place and did just that through my company.....same when I did the kitchen.

If you're confident you can work to the current Regs, then carry on without P, it's more important to have P.L ins and to avoid issues with the Taxman. Revenue and Customs are far more aggressive than the Part P Police..

You may have to avoid work where Building Control is involved, unless you want to pay.

The problem for the customer will be when they come to sell and don't have the appropriate paperwork, however the way things are going nowadays I suspect all house sales will have to have an EICR (if that's the correct term) valid at the time of sale.

I'll let you know on that last one I'm about to sell a house I rewired 35yrs ago, and it hasn't been touched since.
It'll be interesting to see what the paperwork the buyers and their Solicitors expect.

See you point with the certs, however your just leaving a paper trail to be caught

maybe just a results page affixed to the board without your particulars sprawled all over it

Ive heard of people being done by the taxman for private jobs,

Just crack right on dude. Do a good job, issue a cert and tell the client its supposed to be notified but its all a load of mumbo jumbo so they shouldn't worry too much...
now....
Tin hat on....
INCOMING!!!

Reply to Private Jobs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net