Discuss RCD tripping overnight with nothing connected in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I've looked at the image several times over the last hour and am pretty certain both neutrals leaving the main switch are feeding their respective RCDs.

Neutral link is definitely disconnected from load side of right hand RCD.

The factory neutrals all seem ok:
Bottom of main switch to top of left RCD
Bottom of left RCD to left neutral bar
Bottom of main switch to top of right RCD
Bottom of right RCD to right neutral bar

It looks from your photo that the neutral link to the terminals is in the bottom of the main switch, and there is no neutral link in the bottom of the rcd.
Screenshot_20210220-001040.png

And I agree those tails have way to much copper showing!
That consumer unit is awful, as soon as you take the cover off and see the mess like that alarm bells start ringing. I understand when cables are short and need to be crimped doesn’t help the matter but that is shocking no effort whatsoever on there

That consumer unit is awful, as soon as you take the cover off and see the mess like that alarm bells start ringing. I understand when cables are short and need to be crimped doesn’t help the matter but that is shocking no effort whatsoever on there
Wait there I’ve just looked back they are all new colours and has plenty of cable length to terminate just makes it even worse. Wow that is dog rough.

sure thing, outside and inside.
On an unrelated note, are there any regs concerning how far back the insulation is stripped on the incoming tails? I don't like the fact there is a few mm of live tail showing and would have thought the tail insulation should touch the main switch body? I was told by a mate years ago when wiring sockets etc to never leave bare cable showing outside the terminals. This is how it was when fitted with the exception of the disconnected neutrals in the top right and also a groove I cut in the wall to the left in order to get the cover back on without stressing the breakers. I took care to cover the electrics with some plastic sheeting and masking take to avoid any debris getting inside.
No cover on the busbar? Doubt it arrived like that. A lot of copper showing. Generally poor workmanship, my guess is no testing and wouldn't know how to find the fault anyway. What is the black tape in top corner also?

No cover on the busbar? Doubt it arrived like that. A lot of copper showing. Generally poor workmanship, my guess is no testing and wouldn't know how to find the fault anyway. What is the black tape in top corner also?
Black tape is to cover the exposed ends of the disconnected neutrals to stop them inadvertantly touching something they should not.

Thanks for clarifying the neutral link query.... im sure someone later will ask you again, as they wont read every post... #33... i'll remember.

A question though. Does it only trip during the night? That sounds like its a timed piece of equipment such as storage heating or off peak water heater. Maybe the neutrals are mixed up between the on and off peak immersions?

Scratch that.
Just looked at the original photos, and theres no off peak heating marked up.

Thanks for clarifying the neutral link query.... im sure someone later will ask you again, as they wont read every post... #33... i'll remember.

A question though. Does it only trip during the night? That sounds like its a timed piece of equipment such as storage heating or off peak water heater. Maybe the neutrals are mixed up between the on and off peak immersions?

Scratch that.
Just looked at the original photos, and theres no off peak heating marked up.
Yes, only at night, no night storage heaters, no timed or light sensitive or PIR lights. Only things on overnight are the alarm, gas boiler and Google nest thermostat for said boiler.

I have deleted your video from your latest post as it shows the name of the contractor. If you can edit this out feel free to post it again.

Reply to RCD tripping overnight with nothing connected in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net