Discuss Remote location Consumer unit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Regardless of the Regs, common sense dictates that there should be a means of isolation in the flat at the very least. Say, if it was midnight on Saturday and the shower catches fire how are the electrics isolated? Put that question to the landlord?

It would obviously make sense to have isolation in the flat, but common sense and electrical regs don't always go together as we know.

In your shower situation, hopefully the shower would have an isolator (as required by regs) - Hopefully that isn't in the cellar too! :oops: .

If the property is sold separately to the shop though in the future, the CU might become impossible to access so obviously that is an issue that really should be addressed, though which regulation it would fall under might be an interesting discussion.

Might be more sensible to get the landlord to contact the DNO and see if the service head can be moved into the flat? Though I doubt they'd do that FOC.

It would obviously make sense to have isolation in the flat, but common sense and electrical regs don't always go together as we know.

In your shower situation, hopefully the shower would have an isolator (as required by regs) - Hopefully that isn't in the cellar too! :oops: .

If the property is sold separately to the shop though in the future, the CU might become impossible to access so obviously that is an issue that really should be addressed, though which regulation it would fall under might be an interesting discussion.

Might be more sensible to get the landlord to contact the DNO and see if the service head can be moved into the flat? Though I doubt they'd do that FOC.
What if it was the shower switch though?

Regardless of the Regs, common sense dictates that there should be a means of isolation in the flat at the very least. Say, if it was midnight on Saturday and the shower catches fire how are the electrics isolated? Put that question to the landlord?
Shower catches fire, get out don't worry about isolation. It isn't ideal but I don't see a problem.

Seems like everyone is in the same boat as me... not 100% sure lol

I'm going to advise him to move the consimer unit up to the flat that way at least it can be accessed by the occupant.

See what happens because this is obviously the more expensive option but the better one in my opinion

Thanks everyone

Have a look at the memorandum of guidance on the electricity at work regulations. Regulation 12 requires a means of cutting off the supply. Paragraph 187 of the memorandum requires it to be in a suitable location.
Does that apply to dwellings.

The problem with wiring regulations, etc, is they tend not to be written assuming the most advanced muppetery possible. Same for the EICR codes, they cover what is typically seen but not everything.

As mentioned, here is the HSE guidance:

Pages 33-35 cover this in sufficient detail to allow a C2 code backed up not only by the IET regulations (which are not statutory), but the also by the Electricity at Work Regulations 1989 (which really are "the law").

The problem with wiring regulations, etc, is they tend not to be written assuming the most advanced muppetery possible. Same for the EICR codes, they cover what is typically seen but not everything.

As mentioned, here is the HSE guidance:

Pages 33-35 cover this in sufficient detail to allow a C2 code backed up not only by the IET regulations (which are not statutory), but the also by the Electricity at Work Regulations 1989 (which really are "the law").
Does that apply to a dwelling.

I don't know.

But presumably it applies to the shop as a place of work, and by extension to access for the isolation by those with supplies derived from it.
The shop yes but not the dwelling. As an aside if the shop shares the same supply as the dwelling then Part P applies to works in the shop.

What was your reasoning for 95mm cables on a 100A fuse? I can't even think of a situation where that is necessary... might help me in the future if I come across a similar situation.

The large size was required due to being a long distance and having a load with a bit of a heavy inrush, and not being overly tolerant of a big voltage drop.

I carried out the calculations and assessed the practicalities and came to the conclusion that the best solution was 2x95mm in parallel.
The voltage drop dictated a large cable size, I think for a single cable it would have needed to be either 150 or 185, but that would have been very awkward to work with, and more expensive than the 2x95mm option.
[automerge]1596226887[/automerge]

You get the hell out of the building and phone the fire brigade.
If it is on fire then turning the power off is not the priority!

Reply to Remote location Consumer unit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock