Search the forum,

Discuss Running concentric cable in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

BigSi

-
Reaction score
Looking for a bit of advice. A customer has asked me if it is possible to move the meter position for a new build that he is currently building (converting a bungalow to a house). The existing supply cable is terminated into a box just below the bracket for the incoming supply cable (about 4m high). He wants his new meter position to be on the other end of the building so that the gas, water, & electric are all in the same position. He doesn’t want a new cable clipped along the outside of the house, so he has installed a cable duct from one end of the building to the other.

He recently had a quote from WPD to do the job (running in duct, etc), and the price they quoted just seemed to be a random order of numbers!!!

My question is, can I install some concentric cable into the duct between the old position, and into the electricity box at the new position (via a hockey stick). Will WPD then connect the cable into their existing box on the wall, and install a service cut out into the new meter box?

Also, who is responsible in re-fixing the bracket that holds the incoming cable (from the pole), that is currently hanging off the building?

Any help in this would be much appreciated, as it’s not a situation that I have been involved with before. :confused:

Looked into moving a cut out in a rewire i was doing in southern electrics area they would not entertain anything other than their contractors doing the work they would not even offer a discount if i arranged to dig down and expose their cable outside.They would ony route the cable outside the footprint of the house foundations,so i would be surprised if they would be at all flexible in your case but it is always worth a call-keep us posted.as regards to the bracket hanging off the wall i am sure it is their responsibility.If it is southern electric they are pretty helpfull in those sorts of situations but it really depebds on how good the local depot is
Looking for a bit of advice. A customer has asked me if it is possible to move the meter position for a new build that he is currently building (converting a bungalow to a house). The existing supply cable is terminated into a box just below the bracket for the incoming supply cable (about 4m high). He wants his new meter position to be on the other end of the building so that the gas, water, & electric are all in the same position. He doesn’t want a new cable clipped along the outside of the house, so he has installed a cable duct from one end of the building to the other.

He recently had a quote from WPD to do the job (running in duct, etc), and the price they quoted just seemed to be a random order of numbers!!!

My question is, can I install some concentric cable into the duct between the old position, and into the electricity box at the new position (via a hockey stick). Will WPD then connect the cable into their existing box on the wall, and install a service cut out into the new meter box?

Also, who is responsible in re-fixing the bracket that holds the incoming cable (from the pole), that is currently hanging off the building?

Any help in this would be much appreciated, as it’s not a situation that I have been involved with before. :confused:

Working for DNO, I know our lot can be o.k. if you install the cable, as long as you involve them and do it to thir spec. I.e. when you have dug trench, you let them inspect it (for a fee), use their cable etc. Then they may, depending on the depot, connect it for another medium fee.

However, I don't think that they will run a cable through a duct under house that was not installed by them, they try not to run through or under buildings anyway.

Hi guys, thanks for the replies. I think the duct runs around the footings of the building, with a sweeping bend on the corner at a depth of about three foot deep.

I’m not sure if they could inspect it, as its all back filled?

Reply to Running concentric cable in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net