Discuss Ryobi 18v combi drill - any good? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

jibspark

hi, screwfix doing a deal on dewalt,£79? i think,£89 with free corded 230v dewalt. i saw it monday am,bleary eyed. was tired,wanted to get out of there asap!!! they had makita too,go online and have a look.apologies if prices wrong!!!

right, screwfix, makita 18v with 3 batteries £99. dewalt 12v and 600w corded twin pack £89. i use a makita 24v and hit the crap outta it.could really do with new batteries approx year old.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi, screwfix doing a deal on dewalt,£79? i think,£89 with free corded 230v dewalt. i saw it monday am,bleary eyed. was tired,wanted to get out of there asap!!! they had makita too,go online and have a look.apologies if prices wrong!!!

right, screwfix, makita 18v with 3 batteries £99.

the only thing is the makita comes with 1.3ah batts

true, gotta think what you doing with it,i have separate sds for masonary unless lazy to get out and/or drilling just a few 6mm holes.:)twin packs ...mmm always get somthing you not really want but seems a good deal...:( i guess its as the saying goes, you pays your money.....blah. now dont let me see you with a "nu tool" or "black spur" :eek: !!!

a quick story,promise you wont tell anyone.....??? about ten years ago i had i break from sitework etc for about 3 years to help somone out in a mobility shop,stairlifts,overhead disabled ceiling hoists mobility scooters,good clean work and a change<plus you appreciate your legs etc!>any way pal and i after months of me working there took a ride to the beach on our bikes<motorcycles> anyway my pal was looking at the birds and other bikes parked up.....i was thinking aloud all the makes and models of disabled scooters i could see.......................:rolleyes:

Time to decide who you're buying into not just for your drill but for your skill saw sds etc... Remember once you've bought the first bit of cordless you've got the charger and batteries so then you can go naked and trust me thats way cheaper... Just try walking into any local toolshop with no clothes on, see what deals they'll cut you then.

Ps If you see a van with a blue flashing and men in white coats, they've brought your coat and your taxi is here.:)

PPs Blue good, Yellow Black and Decker

i decided to go with a hitachi 18v combi with lithium batteries, a bit pricy at £260 but i wont need to buy another for a while and its backwards compatible with older batteries too!

Ryobi is bottom of the barrel, homeowner grade junk. You might get a bit of good service from it for a while, but no self-respecting tradesman would ever consider it a serious tool. Matter of fact, if I hired a tradesman to work on my property, and he showed up using Ryobi brand tools, I would automatically lose respect for him based solely on the brand of tools he chooses to use.

Interesting what you say about the impression tools give. I know that when I was choosing a builder to do my loft extension a few years back, the one that looked like a builder and started planning where the skip would go got the job. The guy that turned up in the Merc wearing loads of bling got showed the door.

I personally wouldn't take offence at the tools someone turned up with, but I would say that someone turning up with budget tools does create an unfortunate impression. Likewise, someone turning up with kit that is excessively over the top.

When I buy kit, I tend to go for Bosch as much as possible. Their kit works well, takes a fair amount of punishment and isn't over priced. DeWalt is good kit, but INHO is overpriced.

As regards Ryobi, I recently purchased a small drill to use on joists after my DeWalt gave up the ghost. Handles well despite being half the price of DeWalt. Most of our guys have Ryobi cordless circular saws for cutting floorboards, and they seem to work well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ryobi is bottom of the barrel, homeowner grade junk. You might get a bit of good service from it for a while, but no self-respecting tradesman would ever consider it a serious tool. Matter of fact, if I hired a tradesman to work on my property, and he showed up using Ryobi brand tools, I would automatically lose respect for him based solely on the brand of tools he chooses to use.

sigh..... it spins the drill,saw lights up the light,torch

they are so cheap they are almost disposable once you have the batteries and chargers and yet i have not needed to replace my drill yet after 2 suprising years of abuse

i know they are the bottom of the pile but to rule them out because of that is wrong and i will try and make all you name ------ see why

i needed to set up and i needed to set up fast im not a joiner i dont cut wood all day but just occasionally need a circy saw so why would i want a de walt or such like for 3 times the price?

i have this..... drill, circy saw, jigsaw,angle driver/drill,corner sander??,hand vaccum,angle grinder,reciprocating saw,flourescent light,torch,wet dry hoover,radio,6 batteries and 3 chargers all the above work on the same 18v battery

whats my point? well all this cost less than 500 quid and it all works and has worked for 2 yrs

it helped me get started for myself on my way to providing honest quality work for domestic average joes in between my industrial work

everything has its place even the cheap crap

sigh..... it spins the drill,saw lights up the light,torch

they are so cheap they are almost disposable once you have the batteries and chargers and yet i have not needed to replace my drill yet after 2 suprising years of abuse

i know they are the bottom of the pile but to rule them out because of that is wrong and i will try and make all you name ------ see why

i needed to set up and i needed to set up fast im not a joiner i dont cut wood all day but just occasionally need a circy saw so why would i want a de walt or such like for 3 times the price?

i have this..... drill, circy saw, jigsaw,angle driver/drill,corner sander??,hand vaccum,angle grinder,reciprocating saw,flourescent light,torch,wet dry hoover,radio,6 batteries and 3 chargers all the above work on the same 18v battery

whats my point? well all this cost less than 500 quid and it all works and has worked for 2 yrs

it helped me get started for myself on my way to providing honest quality work for domestic average joes in between my industrial work

everything has its place even the cheap crap

well said!

Cheap ****e and no self respecting trade who wants taking seriously uses Ryobi. It tells people you don't wanna invest in your professionalism or your business. Only good for 1st yr apprentices and the DIYer

Reply to Ryobi 18v combi drill - any good? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock