Discuss Should know the answer but stumped in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Pete999

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Not asked for help much, but I'm a bit stymied on this problem. I have a 24vAC door entry system which keeps getting hammered by the local thugs. I have fitted a 12 volt DC Mg Lock and tried to integrate the two via a 24vAC coil relay, the problem being relay chatter, and not switching the Mag Lock via the dry contacts, which are N/C. (349-327 from RS) have been freezing my nads off all afternoon, and ashamed to say I have given up for the day. Has anyone any bright ideas that may assist me, I had to give up because it was way past curfew from the nursing home, some of you will appreciate the humor, I'm sure.

why not use the connections internal for 24v (usually most maglocks are 12/24v using jumpers/different internet wiring.

Mag Lock is OK works fine on it's own just can't tie it in with the od system via the relay

Most door access as you stated are 24v ac....on normal 12/24 dc strike locks they osolate to give the common buzzing sound so people know they can now enter. Problem is after the access transformer the voltage is now 24v 100hz not 50hz. Any most relays don`t like it.
On the door access there should be a set of volt free contacts, which you can used to control the maglock via a seperate psu, 12/24v dc. Note there should also be jumper pins in maglock to select 12v or 24v operation.

If you give me the make of door access, model I check the wiring for you

Most door access as you stated are 24v ac....on normal 12/24 dc strike locks they osolate to give the common buzzing sound so people know they can now enter. Problem is after the access transformer the voltage is now 24v 100hz not 50hz. Any most relays don`t like it.
On the door access there should be a set of volt free contacts, which you can used to control the maglock via a seperate psu, 12/24v dc. Note there should also be jumper pins in maglock to select 12v or 24v operation.

I have installed a separate PSU. Need to check the rubbish bag will let you know tomoz thanks

there you go, pete. be something to read with your cocoa when the nurse puts you to bed. :ciappa::ciappa::ciappa:

Ok well tomorrow psu straight to maglock, thought door access volatge free relay.....problem solved and no ac relays to worry about

Reply to Should know the answer but stumped in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock