Discuss Single pole rotary isolator in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have moved into a property with a 63a single pole rotary isolator controling a inline water heater. Is this safe? Surely it should be a 63a two pole isolator switching both the live and neutral?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Most certainly NOT a single ! Is this a rental or you have purchased ?
Purchased.
It has the earth and neutral terminated within the isolator just the rotary switch is disconnecting the live only when isolated.

Just thought a high current appliance should isolate both live and neutral when in the off position.

a high current appliance should isolate both live and neutral

The current is unimportant, as you can get just as bad a shock from a 6A circuit as a 60A. On a domestic single-phase circuit, an isolator (which you would turn off to enable maintenance, for example) is expected to break all conductors with a 3mm contact separation. A control switch need only break the line, so is it possible that this was the intended purpose of your rotary switch, and the means of isolation (if required) is something else?

The current is unimportant, as you can get just as bad a shock from a 6A circuit as a 60A. On a domestic single-phase circuit, an isolator (which you would turn off to enable maintenance, for example) is expected to break all conductors with a 3mm contact separation. A control switch need only break the line, so is it possible that this was the intended purpose of your rotary switch, and the means of isolation (if required) is something else?
Thanks for your reply, I would imagine the rotary switch would be used for maintenance as the only other way to isolate the water heater would be from the 50a MCB at the board. Perhaps I am wrong and it is just used as a control switch.

So for use as an isolator for maintenance it would need to break live, neutral and earth?

Thanks for your reply, I would imagine the rotary switch would be used for maintenance as the only other way to isolate the water heater would be from the 50a MCB at the board. Perhaps I am wrong and it is just used as a control switch.

So for use as an isolator for maintenance it would need to break live, neutral and earth?
Never break the cpc!!!!!

I'd be surprised if it is a Single pole rotary isolator, more likely a Double pole but only one pole used so shouldn't be too hard to rectify.
Any pictures of the internals?

Sorry I meant break all live conductors, not protective ones. Earthing must never be switched

I'd be surprised if it is a Single pole rotary isolator, more likely a Double pole but only one pole used so shouldn't be too hard to rectify.
Any pictures of the internals?

IMG_20230404_132711_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230404_132722.jpg

IMG_20230404_132736.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think it's that the switch isn't DP, more that the neutral is just bypassing the switch.

The way I read 464.1 and 461.2 I'd say, if a TNCS or TNS supply, the requirement is only for single pole isolation.

It's an interesting point; from the point of view of final circuits controlled by a DP main switch or RCD in the CU, does the presence of a switching pole in the neutral negate the 'reliably connected to earth' that would otherwise be implied by the ESQCR? (Such DP switch being required by 462.1.201).

Reply to Single pole rotary isolator in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net