Search the forum,

Discuss Tiler for £12 an hour?? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Lyngarth u only need to learn the art of plastering and you will be able to offer the complete service lol also what area are you in cuz at those sorts of rates ud b laughed at where I live but I'm up in the north I suppose

I did have a go at plastering on my own house, never again :eek:

I'm down here in Sunny Dorset. The money is still about down here but it is getting a little harder to find it out, but I have some very good customers and 90% of my new work is from word of mouth, so I'm very lucky.

I have been doing work for a top end kitchen company for 14yrs, hand painting the units on site, and now getting to do a lot of electrical work for them as well, which is good money and clean work.

Lyngarth

Government are employing fully qualified sparks for full range of electrical work at £8.60 an hour paye. To give you an idea of how low the UK electrical industry is going, in Australia the minimum wage for unskilled worker is $15 per hour = £8.82

No disrespect to young men but who else could afford to work for that money.

I do agree here.

I have just lost a contract (small) to a newly trained sparky living at home.

£70 a day he is charging.

He also occasionally subbies for a firm who, when needed, will go in and sign his work off he has done for the public.

Last edited by a moderator:
;) Working Around Other Trades !!!

Here’s a Good One !!
My Mates Cousin is in a Rented House , Electric Hob was Not Working , Telephoned the Landlord , Right said He , Get Someone Round as soon As ??
Well , Would you know it , A Plumber Done the Work , Not 17th Edition ?? , Sorry just Part P , His Reply was “ Like for Like “ how Long it took the Plumber , Half on Hour , Bill £70 Pounds , Sorry am in the Wrong Job ,

Big Mistake when they Gave Out Part P to Tom / Dick and Harry , Amber ,
Its being Exploited Big Time ,

Sorry to Hear you Lost Some Work Jason , Can’t Keep A Good Man Down , Ye :rolleyes:

Blame the Sparks who work too cheaply,now youve got to be able to sign off work as well,since this Domestic Installer rubbish,Part POO,its become another must have Qualification,rather than something you get paid extra for,what a cop out...............

As an industrial apprentice trained electrician I would say that my own personal experiences tell me what every sector you work in whether it be domestic, commercial or industrial you need to diversify. Although I was trained as an electrician my current role innvolves pneumatics, hydraulics, industrial controls, assisting with production and what ever is required. And why? Because companies do not want to pay for an Electrician and fitter or other skills that are required.
My point being the domestic and plumbing sectors have been attacked due to advocating competency via short courses and admission to self cert schemes. But maybe at the domestic end of the market they are potentially adding value to the customer. Lets face it if a tiler can be made competent to install sockets in a kitchen let the one man or team complete the job. But I hasten to add that if a domestic spark is any good and does a tidy job he should already have at least basic plastering and maybe tiling and concreting skills. He should with minimal training(maybe a short course) be able to attain a decent level of skill in these areas.
I generally do my own tiling but when I've had builders or tilers in and they do a good job and work hard I think they are worth at least the same as sparks due tio the effect they have on the job. However when on various electrical industrial jobs sparks should be getting over and above that of tilers and builders. This is because these sparks are beginning to utilise there technical knowledge more to complete their tasks.
Anyway, for what its worth grab as much money as you can!

Cheers

As an industrial apprentice trained electrician I would say that my own personal experiences tell me what every sector you work in whether it be domestic, commercial or industrial you need to diversify. Although I was trained as an electrician my current role innvolves pneumatics, hydraulics, industrial controls, assisting with production and what ever is required. And why? Because companies do not want to pay for an Electrician and fitter or other skills that are required.
My point being the domestic and plumbing sectors have been attacked due to advocating competency via short courses and admission to self cert schemes. But maybe at the domestic end of the market they are potentially adding value to the customer. Lets face it if a tiler can be made competent to install sockets in a kitchen let the one man or team complete the job. But I hasten to add that if a domestic spark is any good and does a tidy job he should already have at least basic plastering and maybe tiling and concreting skills. He should with minimal training(maybe a short course) be able to attain a decent level of skill in these areas.
I generally do my own tiling but when I've had builders or tilers in and they do a good job and work hard I think they are worth at least the same as sparks due tio the effect they have on the job. However when on various electrical industrial jobs sparks should be getting over and above that of tilers and builders. This is because these sparks are beginning to utilise there technical knowledge more to complete their tasks.
Anyway, for what its worth grab as much money as you can!

Cheers

I think that is a very good analogy of the current situation as all trades are jumping on the spark front with a green P on the rear of the vehicle then as a lot of sparks have said 'if a builder etc can do it i'm sure a spark can'.

I too can tile, hang doors, fit showers, baths, etc. If a spark can fit a new ceiling etc he can do a wall. so why would you expect your customer to pay for a builder and plasterer if you can save them the money and get extra work.
It all about utilizing your skills and making the most of what you are able to do. Not just what your willing to do. If you are capable and willing why not.

lol. train to be a spark then become a painter...I know... but it is hard times...so if I have no spark work and someone wants a new fence I would not say no.

saying that the other week my mate who is a kitchen fitter had a call to hang some pictures, he didn't want it and asked me if I would. I popped round to see the guy and he wanted all the fixtures fitted in a new house. It took me four hours and I earned £100. I charged a professional rate as someone with no electrical knowledge could well have drilled into wiring and that is probably why he wanted someone to do it for him.

£12 an hour is cheap. They normally charge around £17-£22 per hour in my area. Or if the job only takes a couple of hours they will give a set price rather than charge by the hour.

i cannot believe you ,sbrown2 !!! if the electricity was not available all the other trades would find life very difficult (unless they have a genny) it is US SPARKS THAT MAKE THE END PRODUCT LOOK GOOD !!!! NO POWER HOW CAN YOU LIGHT THAT KITCHEN ETC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We do not supply the electricity we use our academic and vocational skills to make a safe connection to the supply for those customers who require that service!!!!!!!!!!!!!:p

Cheers

And I agree also. That is why in my current environment (thats not to say I do not work in the domestic or commercial environment at times) they prodominantly ask for electricians with mechanical bias/skills. We also know that to become a sparky, a proper sparky, you need more academic knowledge than your average tiler/builder. But it is on this site that I hear other sparkies knocking people who have come through the 2382-10/20, 2391-10/20 and register through NICEIC/NAPIT, 5 day to 1 year route. Are these sparkies. I am not sure!!:( Will these guys have the ability to fault find a ring circuit or wire a star/delta starter. Will these guys have the ability to understand the difference between shunt and no volt tripping. I suspect not. Therefore I agree with you but it is the value of the electrician in the said market. In the domestic market, and I used to be able to get a piece of this pie, it has been swamped out with all levels of electrical skills, whereas the tiler has not and so will maintain their standard of wages.

Regards

The 2391 is a pretty tough route.

Apologies memory is getting slightly faded I do appreciate this, studied 2391/01. But could I ask the question are these courses supplementary or courses in there own right? And non the less it is a short 4-5 day course. 2382-10 just taken the exam but you can take a 5 day course. Bang 70% on the way to being a sparky.

Regards

Reply to Tiler for £12 an hour?? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back