Discuss My Story on How to Become a 'Qualified' Electrician - for Career Changers in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

First of all there is no such thing as a "Qualified Electrician" in the eyes of the law, only competent and I don't envisage that changing either with good reason.

Secondly, the industry itself has no criteria as yet for what the requirements need to be to become Qualified.

You can have all the Qualifications in the world, will it make you competent, not necessarily.

How do you define a spark from another, who's competent to Design, Install and Test on Industrial System's, someone who has the 2330 and am2? From the many sparks I know I wouldn't let them design a commercial, install and test it, and they have been in the game for years and are "Qualified electricians". Hence why the law will always require competency.

As for industry, they are stuck with the headache as to how to distinguish the differing levels of competency. You only need to look at all the forums to see how apparent "Qualified Electricians" fail to grasp the fundamentals.

Bp, I don't think the 2330 would do you any harm, on the other hand I'm not sure how much use it may be as well.

Good luck, and don't get to hung up on what some are saying.

the 2330 is no longer (unless your already on it), but was the starting point imo, all the op has are a bunch of add-on quals which a qualified spark would do to add to a cv.

the recognised main qual now is the 2357 and incorparates the nvq am2 and is the one the op should realy be aiming for if he wants to make it in the game.

the recognised main qual now is the 2357 and incorparates the nvq am2 and is the one the op should realy be aiming for if he wants to make it in the game.

*deep sigh*

The whole point to my original post has become completely lost in translation. I give up. lol!

*deep sigh*

The whole point to my original post has become completely lost in translation. I give up. lol!

not realy,, im just trying to give you and others who want to try and get a trade some advice, one day you might want to work on sites and its the recognised route i was on about, the main route people should be advised to take in becoming a qualified spark. do as you please its a free world but posters are only trying to add to your post which imo was the wrong way to start in the trade. you seem to be getting along so fair play to you.

Secondly, the industry itself has no criteria as yet for what the requirements need to be to become Qualified.

This isnt true. If I phone an agency now and I ask for either an Electrician, Approved Electrician or a Technician. They send what is asked for based upon a grading awarded based upon qualifications. You cant be graded if your not qualified so hence there is a recognised path.

The path has been lost somewhat in domestic so it seems but saying its across the industry is wrong.

If I get a call later today asking for an electrician on day works at one of the premises we look after, I couldn't send the OP to do the job, he wouldn't get through the door as they will only accept JIB graded as qualified.

As said earlier, the OP is doing well at the moment and hopefully continues to do so. However if that job came to an end I suspect another supervisory role could be a problem without the foundations that are seen as standard.

BP good luck mate and heres my tuppence worth.

I served my apprenticeship underground and was with a different spark every week.
I wasn't even allowed to work on bell or intrinsically safe circuits for the first 2 year and even then had to be supervised.
I'm now halfway through my 50's and class myself as both qualified and competent but reading this site most days has made me realise I still have a long way to go to keep up to date with things.
I'm an Industrial spark and marvel at some of the knowledge on here and its made me realise your never to old to learn.......( my fav is the topic of bonding/earthing etc lol. Incredible how many qualified sparks don't know the difference or the reasons for doing it).

I guess all I'm trying to say is even at my age now I'm not the finished article and doubt I ever will be but its a great trade and hope you enjoy the journey mate and never be too proud to ask no matter how simple it may be:)

Good morning BP thx for the thread! I myself am in kind of a predicament. I currently live in Germany , am 30 yrs old and have just been doing the wrong thing for too long. I would like to get myself qualified as an electrician. The only way to do that here is through an apprenticeship which usually takes 3.5 years, sometimes u have the possibility to shorten that by 1 year depending on ur school qualifications.

The thing is apprenticeship with 30 means earning about 400 a month if ur lucky till ur qualified...... I saw your route taken and it did interest me! U said u needed 4 months for the course and 3 weeks practical experience ( lets call it a year) I get qualified and up and running in a year in the uk? These German apprenticeships are very good and well recognised but me earning that sort of money for two to three years would be financial suicide. I thought if ur corse was from home I could work as I go there and still make a living.

I would appreciate any advice u have to offer !

Reply to My Story on How to Become a 'Qualified' Electrician - for Career Changers in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net