Discuss Vintage switchgear restored and installed to form part of my living room. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Afternoon All

Some of you may be interested in one of my projects. I have nearly finished a themed room at my home and we have used some vintage switchgear as part of the decoration, I just need to finish off the skirting board. The next stage is to wire up the semaphores so that they operate when the breakers are operated. The black BTH 6.6kv breaker front was constructed in 1948 and was in service until May 2021. The main blue panel is from a 33kv outdoor substation that was decommissioned about 5 years ago and it has taken us this long to install, as proper work seems to get in the way.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy what we have done and that it is now safe from the scrap man!

Mark
IMG_1859.JPG
IMG_1860.JPG
IMG_1861.JPG
IMG_1862.JPG
IMG_1863.JPG
IMG_1864.JPG
IMG_1865.JPG

You star! Wonderful. Will you have a 100Hz hum in the background and the lovely smell of ozone high voltage electrical equipment produces? Didn't old electrical gear have timeless style as was as functionality.

PS: Are there any folk in Staffordshire suffering an as yet unexplained long term power outage?

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments, I had a funny feeling some of you may like it.

So very quick description, this is from an outdoor 33kv substation that had external busbars/ocb's. It had both main and auxiliary bars to give maximum redundancy. The mimic panel on the top of the main panels shows the two incoming 132Kv circuits that shared the same overhead line to the substation, These are shown as the red symbols as these are also the 132/33 transformers. The rest of the board are the feeders going out to the various parts of the local network, these could be via a direct 33kv circuit or 11kv via a transformer. Almost every feeder was duplicated so you had a one and two. The mimic panel shows the main and aux bars, bus tie breakers, feeders plus the operation of any tap changer on the main incoming transformers. The larger of the semaphores show the operation of an OCB whilst the smaller semaphores show the status of any off load isolators in the external part of the Sub.

The grid transformer metering, this is from the CEGB and MEB days, this is where the bill was generated from the CEGB to the distributor MEB!

Both transformer protection panels are from the 132/33 transformers so this for your circuits for tripping.

The plain panel to the the left is the battery charger/batteries for the substation.

The green panel with gauges, this is a compressed air panel from a substation but not high pressure as found in an air blast. The old 132kv OCB's were spring open and air operated closed. Compressed air is a perfect stored energy source to operate the breaker in a blackout situation and meant a smaller battery back up was required so no large solenoids which would have had to be huge anyway to operate such a breaker. This gave numerous switching operations in a dead substation.

The knife switch and small item in series with it, this is an isolator and C.T from a centre tapped high voltage transformer to give earth fault indication. This would have also gone in series with a liquid neutral earthing. resistor. The output from the C.T went to a transformer protection panel.

As I get time I will post the other items we have and are restoring. I fully appreciate you wont believe me when I say I have a bulk oil 275kv breaker in the back garden, the same design as BTH/AEI that was displayed at the festival of Britain!

Cheers

Mark

Looks like one of these really hip and trendy barber shops you see sometimes on YouTube or could be a Really cool coffee shop in New York or London

Awesome

Excellent stuff. It is a pity that more people don't have this level of imagination with redundant gear. They only see copper $$$.
I have many questions but the overriding one is:
Q1. How did you get this past the interior design committee?
Actually that is a stunning achievement in its own right. I thought I was pushing the boundaries when I tabled the idea of a theatre lighting switchboard to control the lights.

No, wait, this is a trick. You've moved into a substation! Go on, let's see your 'garden!' It is air-insulated?

This is my one. It's not in my living room and it's not in such nice cosmetic condition, and doesn't have the protection relays and metering. To be set up at MEET as an exhibit and teaching aid. We also have a remote panel and telecontrol system to link it to the main panel.

Attachments

• DSCF1454.JPG
    486.4 KB · Views: 35
  • DSCF1361.JPG
    379.9 KB · Views: 37
All very well, but it takes a month of training, wearing PPE and a permit just to turn on the telly…..
which telly is out of shot and a `1956 Baird 2 channel 405 line , all valve unit, the woodwork polished to a high shine. of course, with today's regulations, TV should be metal enclosure or enclosed in a non-combustible (metal) box .

Reply to Vintage switchgear restored and installed to form part of my living room. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock