Discuss Which Metrel? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

SparkyMarkie

Hi Guys n Gals

I'm looking to buy my first tester and I've come up with two which fit the bill in the price range I'm looking at. The first is a Metrel instaltest 61557, the other is a Metrel easitest MI2087 AL2.

Which one would be best for domestic work? I'm sure they'd both do the job just fine, but is one easier to use or have any benefits over the other? As I understand it the easitest is newer and has triplock and auto rcd testing (as I believe do some of the newer versions of the 61557) the easitest seems to also be a bit cheaper second hand than the 61557, is this because it does not have as many functions as the older 61557?

Any comments from users of these testers would be most welcome, I'd also be interested to hear from any of you with one of these for sale.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 4 year old instaltest 61557. It has auto rcd which is great. It has trip lock but the readings tend to be a bit high in comparison to the calculated Zs but it works and better high than low??
It has a signal trace facility (detector £70).
The leads need to be treated with respect mine started showing high readings during my 2391 practical. Replacement set worked fine.
But if I was buying new I would go for the Megger 1552 or the newer 1700 series just because they both do auto reading of certain functions, so no need for a third hand.

LOL, I was waiting for all the Megger, Fluke etc fans to pipe up! Funds just don't allow at the moment unfortunately, so my choices are restricted to the above.

now the new megger 1700 is out, there will be plenty of 1552's second hand. expect to pay around £250 - £300.

I have been told from a well known supplier of test gear, that the only downside to Metrel is if they need to be sent back to the manufacturer for fixing, they go abroad, so takes time where megger and fluke get sorted in the uk.

They basically hinted that if they could, they would advise customers to go down the megger or fluke route and stay clear of metrels

Ok, so apart from the name, what benefits are there to a megger over and above what a cheaper tester does? Are they more user friendly, reliable, make the coffee for you? I don't doubt they are 'better', but how are they?

I have been told from a well known supplier of test gear, that the only downside to Metrel is if they need to be sent back to the manufacturer for fixing, they go abroad, so takes time where megger and fluke get sorted in the uk.

Hi David,
I'd highly recommend using a test equipment supplier that knows what they are talking about. Thats the biggest load of rubbish I've ever heard!

Obviously using scare tactics to try win a sale! Metrel have a very well respected calibration and repair lab, I know, I've being there and seen the calibration van!

Fluke and Megger are also very good brands but please don't let that silly remark dissuade you from choosing Metrel tester. If you would like some impartial and correct advice please feel free to give us a call: 0113 248 9966

Ps. I'd be very interested to hear who told you that in a PM

Hi Sparky,
The best advice anyone could give you is to try the testers before you buy, it's a very personal choice a feature one person likes is often disliked by others. Ask for forum members in your area, I'm sure they would demonstrate their testers and possibly give you hands on time, even basic tests on a checkbox can help in the decision making.
The only down-side I know of Metrel is the instructional manuals which are pants and regularly moaned about by others on here, so not just my opinion. So if you are interested in Metrel, getting someone local with one can be worth it's weight in gold due to the poor manual.
Don't dismiss Martindale and Dilog brands as they are also cheaper than Megger/Fluke, but equally capable and with their supporters on here. Previously I would of included Kewtech in this group, but my local college still has on going reliability issues with their MFTs and until this is resolved I would avoid them.

Last edited by a moderator:
just to echo what test meter has said, the repair team for metrel are in Castleford in the UK. I have sat there chatting to the guys in there for hours. what they told you was actually backwards as the faulty metrels from Europe actually come here to the UK for the repairs.

Don't worry about metrel, I have 3 installtest 61557 and have had no problems at all other than needing a new set of leads after about 7 years. I am looking at getting a 3125b now so may be selling one of my old meters if you would be interested. Whilst on the topic does anyone have any experience of the 3125 series?

Don't worry about metrel, I have 3 installtest 61557 and have had no problems at all other than needing a new set of leads after about 7 years. I am looking at getting a 3125b now so may be selling one of my old meters if you would be interested. Whilst on the topic does anyone have any experience of the 3125 series?

not too keen on them design wise. just my opinion though :) had a little go with one and they are ok its just the design that i don`t like

I've got a 300I, which I'm fairly happy with.
Never had any problems with the No Trip test giving high readings.
Only thing that bugs me, is the length of time it takes to do the Zs test.

I would have said go for MI3000. I've been using the best part of a year and never had problems but as Spin pointed out the Zs measurement on the no trip setting do tend to take forever. Like I said in other threads, there are only 2 testers for me: the Megger and the Metrel and the choice is made by your pocket.

I have tried using the MI3125B quite a few times. I must admit that I do not test on a daily basis as my job is working at test-meter, but I normally try out new products that appear interesting. I know that the design is different from other well known testers (other Metrel testers, Meggers, Flukes, Kewtech etc..) and I guess personal preference always plays part, but I found to be easy to use. It has a magnet on the back of the meter meaning that it hangs from any magnetised surface which means that you have both hands free. The Easi Switch which was launched with the MI3101 EurotestAT also works with the MI3125B (please note that there are other Metrel meters with the same part number like ComboLite and MI3125 Combo T - these do NOT work with the EasiSwitch or store/download test results). This does take headache out of rings mains testing and makes the job a lot quicker, so that is in my opinion a welcome feature. The specifications of the MI3125B are quite good as well carrying out all the tests required for TN and TT systems and it includes the RCD test for type B RCD's. All in all I can't really fault the product from having used it.
If I could say anything negative it would be that there are too many Metrel testers or Multifunction tester kits with similar part numbers. I haven't often found customers confused by prices and differences when looking around. If anyone has any questions, please let us know. I think we have finally gotten our heads around all of them now ;-)

I have tried using the MI3125B quite a few times. I must admit that I do not test on a daily basis as my job is working at test-meter, but I normally try out new products that appear interesting. I know that the design is different from other well known testers (other Metrel testers, Meggers, Flukes, Kewtech etc..) and I guess personal preference always plays part, but I found to be easy to use. It has a magnet on the back of the meter meaning that it hangs from any magnetised surface which means that you have both hands free. The Easi Switch which was launched with the MI3101 EurotestAT also works with the MI3125B (please note that there are other Metrel meters with the same part number like ComboLite and MI3125 Combo T - these do NOT work with the EasiSwitch or store/download test results). This does take headache out of rings mains testing and makes the job a lot quicker, so that is in my opinion a welcome feature. The specifications of the MI3125B are quite good as well carrying out all the tests required for TN and TT systems and it includes the RCD test for type B RCD's. All in all I can't really fault the product from having used it.
If I could say anything negative it would be that there are too many Metrel testers or Multifunction tester kits with similar part numbers. I haven't often found customers confused by prices and differences when looking around. If anyone has any questions, please let us know. I think we have finally gotten our heads around all of them now ;-)

Sorry, the above meant to read that I HAVE often found customer confused by prices....that's what happens when you type away with out checking

Mine is actually the MI3000, not the 300I as previously posted.
The only thing that concerns me, is that it can't test the new Type A RCDs.
Although as yet, I've not come across one.
I'm not that bothered about having Bluetooth, or the facility to store and then being able download the results to a computer.
I had that with a Fluke, and I always wrote the results down on paper in case the Fluke lost them.

Sounds good to me and I like the other metrel testers I have so I'll probably be getting one.
Could you tell me exactly how the ring main tester works as I can't see how you save a great deal of time as you still have to disconnect all the cables to test.

Also, does the combo lite lack many functions over the other models apart from saving results, I have never used the save function on any of my meters.

Thanks

Ihave got the combolite.As a previous post it does not save and download results or is compatible with the easy switch I don't think it does type b rcds either .but I have never come across a type b rcd yet so I'm not to bothered.It does everything else tho and to be honest it made my megger loop/rcd tester seem old hat.They do not like being left in the van in cold weather tho as the results are all over the shop.Test leads are ok not brilliant but then who's is?Auto rcd test is good and ramp tests at 0 and 180 which is usefulLoop rcd is not particularly fast not too bad thoZe tests are coming up low IMOBut I've checked both my testers on the checkbox and they both are within limits Quite easy to use and has help screens if your not sureI rate this meter and for the money is good valueI've used megger since I was an apprentice and fancied a change I got their gammpat pat tester first which is excellent if like me you don't do slot of pat testing it is also upgradeable to download etc if you need that .used for about 6 months no-good value I think considering I was 1000 quid for my old test gear 9 year ago

Reply to Which Metrel? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net