Discuss Xpelair Premier CF20T wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hey

I have an old pull cord xpelair automatic bathroom fan for over 20 years. Was a pull cord operation. On and off. Bought the fan in the subject as a replacement. It has 4 mains connections. First one looks like 3 lines dont know what this is for. Next is N for neutral i take it. Then T, think this is if you want to connect to light. Next is LH which i think is the live. I only have 2 wire going to the fan. Live and neutral. When i connect them fan constantly runs. If i pull cord to switch on runs faster, switch off then just constantly runs doesn't. Can this be wired using just the 2 wires or shall i return it?
I want a powerful 2 wire pull cord fan any recommendations?

Thanks
Ice

Does the fan not come with any instructions?
also, more concerning is the symbol for the earth connection looks like 3 lines and it sounds like you have not connected anything to it.

this is a vital safety connection and MUST BE CONNECTED IF PRESENT
1667368369432.png

Here are the precise IEC definitions for each symbol:

No. 5017 Earth (ground): To identify an earth (ground) terminal in cases where neither the symbol 5018 nor 5019 is explicitly stated.

No. 5018 Noiseless (clean) earth (ground): To identify a noiseless (clean) earth (ground) terminal, e.g. of a specially designed earthing (grounding) system to avoid causing malfunction of the equipment.

No. 5019 Protective earth (ground): To identify any terminal which is intended for connection to an external conductor for protection against electrical shock in case of a fault, or the terminal of a protective earth (ground) electrode.

No. 5020 Frame or chassis: To identify a frame or chassis terminal.

The CF20t is timed fan, which also has a humidity sensor and different fan speeds selectable by the pullcord.
The reason it runs constantly when connected is the humidity sensor is sensing humidity, and in time will switch itself off when the humidity level drops due to the moist air being extracted out of the room. This sensor can be adjusted.
The fan will not switch on again until the humidity builds up, or the if the T terminal is connected to a switched live, usually the light switch.

Basically you have bought an expensive fan that is not the right one. You need a simple fan without a timer and with an on/off pullcord.

For example:

The earth connection is the first picture.

Yes it is an expensive fan. If i just connect neutral and live will it turn off humidity is low enough. I dont want to connect to light. I have turn down the humidity and timer right down.
This recommend fan what is the extraction rate? I want a top end one which is really good. Thanks for your advice guys

About the same extraction rate as the one you have.

Turning down the humidity should work.
Turning the timer up or down will make no difference, as it's not connected.

"turning down" the RH? I guess what is needed is less sensitivity to humidity?
I think to make the fan less sensitive, ie so it goes off, you need to turn the setting up!

Instructions (if I've got the right one!) "The humidity setting is adjustable between approximately 50% and 90% relative humidity. Using an electrician’s screwdriver, turn screw “RH” clockwise to increase the relative humidity setting and anti-clockwise to decrease. (Note: the fan is more sensitive at 50% RH than at 90%)."

So wind the RH adjustment clockwise (+)

Reply to Xpelair Premier CF20T wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net